• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental and Anaesthesia

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

Molly has her first dental today (Milly has had one previously but her molar spurs were larger). Molly has only small molar spurs but they needed to be done. Now, during the procedure, the vet could only burr down one side of her molars because he didn't want to give any more anaesthesia, in case he overdosed. He's an experienced vet and did Milly's dental just fine. I'm happy that he did this because I'd rather he did it in stages rather than risk her dying under anaesthesia. However, I'm wondering if Molly could be using the anaesthesia differently? Could a normal dose not be enough for her? What could be a reason for this?

My old boy Rio had a few dental treatments in the last two years or so. Sadly he died aged 8 over a month ago.Nothing to do with his teeth etc,more like a full heart attack,my baby!:(:(:(

I suspect what the Vet meant was that Milly's breathing/heart were unstable during the GA and so he wanted to wake her up as soon as possible.
I dont think doing 'half a Dental' would be the chosen route (as of course it would not solve the Dental issues and may actually make them more problematic) unless it were unsafe to continue due to an unstable anaesthetic reaction. I would speak with the Vet again to establish exactly what went on, what anaesthetic was used etc.

I suspect what the Vet meant was that Milly's breathing/heart were unstable during the GA and so he wanted to wake her up as soon as possible.
I dont think doing 'half a Dental' would be the chosen route (as of course it would not solve the Dental issues and may actually make them more problematic) unless it were unsafe to continue due to an unstable anaesthetic reaction. I would speak with the Vet again to establish exactly what went on, what anaesthetic was used etc.

oh right. I didn't see the vet so could ask about it (my parents picked her up) so probably got half the story. :? Molly hasn't had any GA since she was spayed at around 5 months old (she's now 4 years old), so I don't know about reactions to GA. The other side of her molars have to be done in about a month's time. They aren't terrible spurs, but of course doing it sooner rather than later.

oh right. I didn't see the vet so could ask about it (my parents picked her up) so probably got half the story. :? Molly hasn't had any GA since she was spayed at around 5 months old (she's now 4 years old), so I don't know about reactions to GA. The other side of her molars have to be done in about a month's time. They aren't terrible spurs, but of course doing it sooner rather than later.

Yes, as she may well not wear her molars down evenly now- ie she will have a poor occlusion and any spurs already insitu are likely to progress rapidly.

Back