• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sneezing/tummy gurgle

bigwigbunny

Warren Scout
hello a couple of questions that i would be most grateful for your opinions on
1) does a rabbits tummy only ever make gurgling noises if they are in stasis or have gut issues or is it normal to make the occasional gurgle?
2) rabbit sneezing without runny nose - anything to worry about?
tyvm all thoughts would be most appreciated

My two sometimes gurgle if they've had a long drink of water... other than that I'm not sure at all!
Sneezing could perhaps be dust related? Finx sneezed a few times when it was hot at the end of last summer, but nothing else showed up and she is fine.

Sorry not very helpful!

hello a couple of questions that i would be most grateful for your opinions on
1) does a rabbits tummy only ever make gurgling noises if they are in stasis or have gut issues or is it normal to make the occasional gurgle?
2) rabbit sneezing without runny nose - anything to worry about?
tyvm all thoughts would be most appreciated

1. If it's loud enough to hear easily then it might be gas which can lead to statis. If it's in a very quiet room and the bunny is close then some sounds are normal.

2. Yes, I would be concerned by that and would be making a vet appointment for the next few days. It could easily be snuffles, it might just be some dust but if it's snuffles it needs treating.

ty sierra that is helpful, i was considering whether it might be dust releated as my little one is a house rabbit and moults all the time due to the central heating - i do try and stay on top of the hairs but it's an ongoing battle. i will redouble my efforts and see if it helps, ty again for your response :)

Last edited:
ty elena i will do a thorough spring clean of the house tomorrow and if it's not gone by the evening i will take him to the vets - unless he starts to exhibit any other signs in the mean time

Fiver's guts sometimes make gurgling noises but when they are very loud it's generally because he is going into stasis or is having a bout of gas. A feel of his tummy and watching his behaviour helps me to realise when something is actually "wrong". Also my bridge bun, Ellie, had very loud guts but she drank a heck of a lot of water (she made a lot of noise whilst drinking and I could hear her gulping air) and had some kidney and dental issues. My current doe, Xena, had quite loud guts when I first got her (only had her a few weeks) and she had a bout of stasis a week after I had her. I took her to the vets and she was given all the usual medication and put on a course of anti-biotics; since then her guts haven't been nearly as loud as often as when I first got her. I think it is quite important to look at the bunny's behaviour when you hear their guts gurgling very loudly; are they grinding their teeth? Tummy pressing? Not as interested in food and hay? Drinking a lot? Feel their tummy, does it feel hard? When you "squish" it, does it make "crackling" sounds? This usually means there is some gas in the tummy but you need to recognise when this is a problem and when it is just normal gut function.
I'm no expert but these have been my experiences of gurgling tummies in my buns and I hope this helps..bunnies are very stressful at times!

Just to add: Fiver and Ellie's guts were loudest when they were/are due dentals, probably because of the decrease in food going through their systems, and in Ellie's case, drinking a huge amount of water when in pain. I'd get their teeth checked if I were you just to rule out any teeth problems.

ty vegan bunny :) his teeth were checked last week and given the all clear so not worried there (but it was a good thought). apart from the occasional tummy gurgling he's bouncy, happy, lively and eating me out of house and home (especially on hay, which gives me no end of pleasure, the sound of bunny munching hay i think, is the best sound in the world). he's never been a big drinker but i have been watching the water level closely and he's drinking as much as ever. he does however love to lick my hubby's legs - will sit for hours doing it - OH legs are the closest thing to bunny fur he can find to groom i think and we have noticed him gulping air in while doing this, so am now thinking that this might be the cause of the noise. should i stop this procedure or perhaps limit it in order stop bigwig (my bunny) from gulping air? or is it something i can just ignore as not being a problem as it's not stasis related? very much ty to all of you for helping me - bigwig means the world to me and i worry constantly about him - if he were my child some would probably call me a fussy mum! lol but he's my little one and want to make sure he's happy and healthy, ty

Have you thought about getting him a partner?

I know what you mean about the munching hay sound! Helps me sleep :lol:

yes we have thought a lot about getting another bunny for him - but have decided against it, he has totally adopted me as his mate and has never had any interaction with other rabbits. his general demeanour is that of happiness - runs and binkys all day long - lots of shakes and running round and round me - i wouldn't mind my relationship with him changing if it would make him happier but he is tremendously territorial and dominant over his environment and at this stage i don't think he would accept another bunny in the home, we have left it just too late. As my husband and i run a business from home he has access to us 24 hours a day and we have never spent a night away from him. got down on my hands and knees today with a wet cloth and removed every single last hair from the carpets! RESULT!!! :) today he only sneezed once :) back hurts now but totally worth it.

yes we have thought a lot about getting another bunny for him - but have decided against it, he has totally adopted me as his mate and has never had any interaction with other rabbits. his general demeanour is that of happiness - runs and binkys all day long - lots of shakes and running round and round me - i wouldn't mind my relationship with him changing if it would make him happier but he is tremendously territorial and dominant over his environment and at this stage i don't think he would accept another bunny in the home, we have left it just too late. As my husband and i run a business from home he has access to us 24 hours a day and we have never spent a night away from him. got down on my hands and knees today with a wet cloth and removed every single last hair from the carpets! RESULT!!! :) today he only sneezed once :) back hurts now but totally worth it.

Hmmn..We had our big old Rio Rabbit as a house spoiled bunny.he was four when we introduced a lively liitle girl bun to him.Rio was neutered,then the girl was spayed when was old enough.Sadly Cleo was PTS after a very severe gut stasis. last year she was four :cry: My poor Rio died a month ago,with I suspect a major heart attack...wahh!

My vet always stated the more gurgling etc their tums were,the better the bunny!;);)

He didn't hear my poor Mini last night. She was suffering bless her, fortunately she's much better this morning or I would be on my way to the vets right now. Very loud tummy gurgles, popping sounds when trying to eat cecals and some tummy pressing to try and shift the gas. Very unlike her to get a gassy tummy.

I would personally think the louder the tummy gurgles the worse the gas :shock: But maybe it's different for different bunnies?

Regarding the bonding, I had Fiver from 9 weeks old. He lived in my living room and was very much bonded to me. Exactly how your bunny acts; binkying, racing around my feet, head shaking and following me EVERYWHERE. I moved and he had to go in my bedroom and so didn't have the attention he needed, he was and still is very territorial and often attacks and growls at anyone going near his litter tray. I was very worried about bonding him but I got a doe and fortunately she was submissive. They were inseparable, grooming each other constantly and following each other around. He got less aggressive and was clearly happy! I needn't have worried :lol:
I lost Ellie last year, though :( He mourned her for about a week; hopping into my bed with me for kisses and cuddles. I have got him another doe now but he's not as loved up with her (she's dominant), but he still enjoys having her around and grooms and follows her around. :)
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is getting Fiver a friend was the best thing I ever did. You've never known buns until you see a bonded pair :love:

Of course, it sounds like he has all the attention he needs and I really only got Fiver a doe in the first place because he was on his own in my bedroom but I think I would have got another bun even if he was in my living room still. :)

Excuse me if this has been asked, I did look but there's a lot of text and it's late :lol:

What do you mean by 'gulping air'? What does it specifically look/sound like?

My Bunny always seems to have a gurgling sound come from her stomach when she is drinking, yet her poos ect are fine :/

I think they tend to gurgle when they drink..I *think* it's just the water going down. The problem is when they are gurgling randomly and are showing signs of pain. My Xena was doing it this morning and when I felt her tummy it was "crackling" and "popping". She is perfectly fine now but she was obviously in a bit of pain with gas, I'd have taken her to the vets if she had stopped eating. She went anyway but for a totally unrelated issue (her eye was sore) :roll: That bunny is going to keep me on my toes!

Back