• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Serious Issues With Clipping

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.

Im having some serious issues with clipping Mr's nails.

Its not a logisitcal or how to thing as i clip Wilmas just fine and she is pretty good at letting me do it.

It used to be a struggle with Mr but in the last 3-4months its been 100% impossible to get it done.

I think he is very uncomftable at the moment, he is walking fine but i noticed a little (tiny) purple patch on his heel which looks a little like sore hocks.

When i have taken him to the vet they have really struggled too and he gets very distressed and he doesnt travel to well.

Does anyone have any ideas...please!!

Can you wrap him in a towel to restrain him? You could also give him a heat pad and bring him indoors with the central hetaing on low. The heat may tire him a little make it easier to handle him.

If its that much of a problem the vets may need to sedate him to clip his nails. However there may also be an underlying problem in which case further examination might be necessary again under sedation or anaesthetic if for an x ray.

For sore hocks sudocream works a treat.

My late old bun*Rio* was okay with being wrapped in a towel,we managed his front paws fine.however a week or so later we did his back feet.he kicked a bit but then it was a chore,he tolerated it!

Mr is an indoor rabbit so the get him warm won't really work hahah

Also tried the towel technique he just continues to wriggle, fight and kick out so much I worry he will hurt himself.

The actual cutting isn't an issue as Wilmas a perfectly fine.

I'm just trying to think if anyone knows any alternative methods of doing it

Turn up for the books last night.

Wilma good as gold, I even think she likes getting pampered.

Then we just picked up Mr held him firmly on my lap with a towel under him and covering his face a little whilst I stroked him. OH managed to do back paws was a bit of a struggle and he tried to escape a few times.

And for the front I held him close to my chest whilst OH did front paws.

Worked and I was very shocked, was getting so frustrated with failed attempts was close to considering trancing him :(

That's great that you managed to get him calmed down :D I've not much to suggest other than bunny burrito which I see has already been suggested, but you do need to be quite firm so bunny knows they can't escape.
Re the stress at vet visits - have you tried Rescue Remedy? As in the human one you find in supermarkets/Boots/all over the shop. This can be marvellous for calming buns. Chamomile is great too, either the fresh herb or I gave cooled camomile tea.

As for the hocks, I would leave them and just monitor them. Although Sudocrem can be useful, in early stage sore hocks it can actually make it worse as it dampens the healthy fur around the sore patch and removes the 'cushion' which is protecting it. I'd have a look at the flooring he's on, anything rough will make it worse, this includes carpet as he is a house bunny. I kept my sore hock bun in a room with lino and lots of fleece for padding and hers did improve. Ideally they should go on a thick layer of hay but I know this is just not practical indoors. If you can prevent them getting worse, they will *hopefully* callous over which will protect them from further problems, although there's always the risk of them opening up again.

Back