• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can cats hurt or kill rabbits???

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
After coming through the recent fox saga unscathed, there is now a great big fluffy cat stalking my buns - it's been on top of one of the hutches twice now this week!! :evil::evil: Could they hurt or even kill my buns???

They can, but it's pretty unlikely. The cat probably is just curious. If the buns are free ranging I'd be more worried about a playful swat or a defensive swat (cats are actually often afraid of buns) by the cat, and the cut getting infected, than I would be about the cat intentionally wanting to kill the buns.

They can, but it's pretty unlikely. The cat probably is just curious. If the buns are free ranging I'd be more worried about a playful swat or a defensive swat (cats are actually often afraid of buns) by the cat, and the cut getting infected, than I would be about the cat intentionally wanting to kill the buns.

I do hope so - they are taking turns free ranging at the moment since I have been home from work - one of my buns looks just like the cat!

im saying yes because cats usually chase anything that moves (even your hands)

That really depends on the cat. My 10 aren't at all interested in rabbits. They wouldn't be interested in anything bigger than a squirrel. And even my 1 outdoor cat will sit 10 ft away from squirrels and birds that are eating food on the ground and not be interested.

There are lots of cats in my neighbourhood. The buns don't like it when they come in the garden but they've never done any physical harm. My garden isn't secure so if they're out of their run then I'm watching them anyway and the cats stay away.

Cats are natural hunters, rabbits are natural prey animals. In reality I think the wild rabbits that some cats manage to catch are probably ill and probably babies. Obviously best not to risk it though because even if the rabbit is too big to catch a cat could pin one down and give it a fright. Luckily I introduced my cats to my rabbits when they were kittens and as Roxy is so feisty both my cats are scared to death of rabbits...but I don't take a risk with cats I don't know.

Agreeing with William, it's not necessarily whether a passing cat will kill a rabbit (and certainly a little cat I used to have used to bring home full-grown rabbits bigger than she was and get them through the cat flap) but whether a scratch or a bite from a cat will develop into an abcess or bad infection.

My cat killed Flash.

And whe she moved in before we realised much about cats and she was close to the buns, she helpfully gave them fleas. The flea treatment then killed another one of my other bunnies (Flash's daughter).

We've got another cat move in now and whilst she isn't ours we have flea treated her to ensure that she can't do the same to these bunnies.

I would say yes. My neighbours cat jumped in a run and grabbed a bunny round its neck, which is why are runs are all completely secure now. And a swipe from a cat can kill a rabbit due to infection. About 10 years ago one of our cats swiped a bunny and caught its eye:(

It depends on the cat but they are completely capable of killing a rabbit of they want to, some have a very strong hunting instinct and are very powerful and strong. My mums cat fights with a local fox and used to kill squirrel and large birds like wood pigeons and my friends cat regularly kills wild rabbits and once had a massive fight with a weasel they are both Burmese though and they do seem to have a strong hunting instinct.

I have a neighbours cat that keeps looking at my buns or "stalking them"....Archie thumps and warns everyone but the girls are smalller and they get scared and hide or run towards me and the house...Im always watching when they free range but it worries my how fast it could all happen...saying this- Im not shutting my buns up and stopping their free range time because of the neighbours cat...I just have to very vigilent in watching them and being there.

My neighbour's cat uses to leave dead wildies on my back doorstep. Couldn't have chosen a less appropriate house. Anyway, I'd say yes. Cats can kill buns.

My male cat stalks them, but when it somes to them being out hes terrified of them! And my Maisey tries to hump my female cats lol. She chases them around.

my brothers cat got a wild rabbit the other day sad but true :(
it was a young rabbit not a baby but not an adult either
i wouldnt trust a cat around a rabbit free ranging at all
but in a safe hutch or run they be fine

Yes, my friends cat brings her a rabbit every single morning. Usually a baby, but he has brought home many adults too.

Oh dear :cry::cry: more stress then - if a fox or 3 wasn't bad enough now I have to fight off cats :cry::cry:

Yes a cat will kill a rabbit, but a cat isn't very likely to try to break into your hutch/run like a fox might as it would be hunting for sport rather than food so I wouldn't lose sleep over a cat getting them in the night or anything.

Back