• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Our poor rabbit has died but we dont know why???

bramblewillow

Warren Scout
Sadly our rabbit bramble died yesterday he was about 6 and 1/2 yrs old and was very sudden we are not quite sure why we came home from being out and he greeted us as normal wanting to get out his cage and was running round garden we saw him giving himself a wash and then all of a sudden looked out and he was laying on grass on his side panting, husband picked him up and he squeaked and we tried to syringe apple puree baby food into him (done before if unwell but never saw him like this) and also water but dribble back out was fighting the syringe, had use of back legs but not front, was lifting head trying to get aired, husband held him and then laid him in cage and within a few minutes he shook couple times and stopped breathing. we had been home 45mins max and he died very quick within 20mins of seeing him on grass.

he had been getting thin over the last six mths and more tired than normal but still well all the same.

Obv could be just old age and a matter of a heart attack or stroke but very sad all the same.

we have another rabbit his brother so am hoping not an illness - although they were kept seperate as used to fight!

I'm very sorry that you lost your bunny.

There are so many causes for things like this that speculating won't be useful for you. The only way to know would be to get a post mortem at the vets.

Thanks I know prob doesnt do any good to dwell on it just sometimes easier if you have a reason, just wasnt very plesant to watch esp whilst trying to entertain and distract an 18mth old from what was happening.

I lost my big old "Rio" rabbit over a month ago.He was a house rabbit,a big old house bunny that ruled the roost! He was king of the castle1 I miss him so much.:cry: I meant to say he was eight.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
I lost my 2 fit and healthy buns in December within 24 hours of each other. After post mortems and numerous tests I finally got an answer - sadly this is the only real way to determine what happened but it is not a cheap option.
PM me if you want more details

it could have been natural causes, so there could have been very little you could have done, but for me and my vet, I just wanted to know what had happened when there had been no illness or symptoms.

hope you find an answer to give you some peace.

binky free at the Bridge Bramble

Back