• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jack's-Jane's Self Help Diary- 22/3 Aisling Admitted Again :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Firstly, I am only starting this thread as a 'self help' diary. I do not expect people to reply and as I add posts it is not to waive an attention seeking flag, it is purely an attempt to manage my feelings of being over-whelmed by having so many of my Rabbits who are now coming to the end of their lives. Hope I have explained my motives here and that this thread wont get up anyone's nose.

I live for my Rabbits, in the literal sense. They are the only reason I have for existing. I realise that they cannot live forever. But managing the reality of imminent losses is getting harder as my Rabbit Family diminishes in size.

These are the little ones I know are on borrowed time

Miss Bunny Penny
Hal
Stanley
Tess
William
Murphy
Brian
Colonel Colin
Morse
Big Libby
Michael
Zac

A combination of age and chronic health problems will take them from me sooner rather than later

Every day I try to focus on the 'here and now'. As long as all the 'time limited' Rabbits are 'OK within themselves' I try not to dwell on what I know to be their problems. But it is hard and getting harder :cry:

As I have said, this thread is just me trying to help myself cope. It is hard to do so on my own and I dont like to be on the phone to C several times a day

I want to remain strong for my Rabbits, I owe it to them to do so

Last edited:
*squishes* Great idea for a thread :) If it helps in any way, then that's awesome.

I can relate a lot to what you say about how you feel for your rabbits, as you probably know, and I know how much I wobble when they wobble and that's on a much more minor scale than the wobbles you have to deal with.

You're using all your strategies to try and help you through this and that's great. It can't change things but maybe it might make things a little less overwhelming.

You know (hopefully) that my PM box is open if you ever need a rant/vent/friend. x

*squishes* Great idea for a thread :) If it helps in any way, then that's awesome.

I can relate a lot to what you say about how you feel for your rabbits, as you probably know, and I know how much I wobble when they wobble and that's on a much more minor scale than the wobbles you have to deal with.

You're using all your strategies to try and help you through this and that's great. It can't change things but maybe it might make things a little less overwhelming.

You know (hopefully) that my PM box is open if you ever need a rant/vent/friend. x

Thank you xx

Oh Jane. I honestly don't know how you do it....same for anyone with sick buns.
You are so strong for them :love:
as always...you have my number if you want to cry/yell down the phone at someone who won't take offence.xxx

Oh Jane. I honestly don't know how you do it....same for anyone with sick buns.
You are so strong for them :love:
as always...you have my number if you want to cry/yell down the phone at someone who won't take offence.xxx

Thanks Sam, I hope you are all baring up as much as possible of your tragic loss :cry:

No advice really. A lot of my buns are similar ages, so my group is aging together. I sometimes wonder if my buns were with someone like you, could they live longer? You are more experienced at what care is required, & spotting signs of illness - mine are probably harbouring illness before I spot outward signs. I don't "know" my buns like you do

I figure all I can do is do what I think is best for them on a day to day basis:love:

Hi Jane,

I hope what I said on the other thread didn't sound insensitive. It wasn't meant to.

I too think it's a good idea for a thread. And also, despite what I said about trying not be sad until necessary if Roxy so much as lies down for a nap (she's 8 too) I go into a minor panic.

Hope the thread helps you. I am not surprised you need a coping mechanism - it looks like you have a lot on.

xx

Jane deep down I think you are a strong woman. You cope on your own and I think you do wonders.

How you manage is amazing. Thinking of you and your bunnies. xxx

Thanks Sam, I hope you are all baring up as much as possible of your tragic loss :cry:

I'm trying to be strong for Rosie and Marnie. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. Marnie is very clingy and Rosie is sad too.
Thank you for thinking of us....especially as you have so much to deal with yourself.xxxx

I wont subject you to all of it, but this is part of a poem I wrote about parrot rescue, about the animals view. I think all of us who care, truly and deeply care about the little lives in our hands, we are our own worst judges. That's our downfall. We beat ourselves up with guilt, and with 'if only's', and we forget to see the animals point of view. Usually when I write, I try and do it from the animals viewpoint because it makes a lot more sense than mine :)
This is the last part of a poem that I think applies quite nicely here, and it can be applied to any animal we care for, not just parrots. We go through such emotional turmoil when we lose a beloved animal, but perhaps this out take from my poem will add a little balance. I hope so xxx

(PS decided to use the whole thing as it all applies really. If anyone wants me to adapt it as a bunny poem, just let me know and I'll happily do that xx)

THE ANGEL. (A parrots prayer, by Anne.M.Kenyon)

I came to you without a choice,

You chose me as your friend.

So all I ask is that you care

For me, until the end.

My life may be a few short years,

Or three score years and ten,.

So, when Im not the 'perfect' pet,

Will you still love me then?

I know my sweet and funny ways

Will bring laughter to your heart,

But will you feel as warm to me

When all the troubles start?

When my natural instincs surface

And confusion makes me scream,

When despair at being trapped sets in,

Will I still be your dream?

Will you still give me loving care

And help me through my pain,

Stand by me till my traumas cease

And I can make you smile again?

Or will you pack me up

And send me broken, on my way;

Then lament to all who listen

Just how much YOU hurt this day?

I have no say in what you do,

My life is in your hands.

But this small thing I ask of you,

'Please, will you understand?'

If I should tear my feathers out

Despite how much you care,

Will you still think Im beautiful,

And be proud that I am there?

Can you give me all these things,

And love without condition?

And when my final journey beckons me,

Will you give me your permission?

If you can see my time is up,

And Im needing to escape,

Will you just hold me one last time

Through that journey I must make?

If you can do these simple things

And never think your efforst vain,

And not resent the love you gave

Throughout our joys,

Throughout our pain;

Then you will be my Angel,

here on earth my whole life through,

And from here, for all eternity,

I will be YOUR angel too.

I have three elderly cats (one who is now sadly incontinent) and two older bunnies and if I am honest I am struggling to cope with the practicalities of an incontinent cat. She messes quicker than I can clean it up.

Every morning when I go out to Dylan and Molly I heave a sigh of relief when they both start nomming their breakfast. With Dylan I am watching for any little sign he is in pain.

It must be incredibly stressful having the number of elderly/poorly buns that you have, Jane.

You are a fantastic Bunny Mummy though and because you spend so much time with your buns you pick up illnesses and distress much quicker than many of us whose buns are outside or who are away from the buns for part of the day.

I think it's a great idea, having a thread like this for you to offload on. I think many of us can empathise with you.

Thinking of you and your Rabbit Family xxxx

Perfectly worded yet again :love:

I wont subject you to all of it, but this is part of a poem I wrote about parrot rescue, about the animals view. I think all of us who care, truly and deeply care about the little lives in our hands, we are our own worst judges. That's our downfall. We beat ourselves up with guilt, and with 'if only's', and we forget to see the animals point of view. Usually when I write, I try and do it from the animals viewpoint because it makes a lot more sense than mine :)
This is the last part of a poem that I think applies quite nicely here, and it can be applied to any animal we care for, not just parrots. We go through such emotional turmoil when we lose a beloved animal, but perhaps this out take from my poem will add a little balance. I hope so xxx

(PS decided to use the whole thing as it all applies really. If anyone wants me to adapt it as a bunny poem, just let me know and I'll happily do that xx)

THE ANGEL. (A parrots prayer, by Anne.M.Kenyon)

I came to you without a choice,

You chose me as your friend.

So all I ask is that you care

For me, until the end.

My life may be a few short years,

Or three score years and ten,.

So, when Im not the 'perfect' pet,

Will you still love me then?

I know my sweet and funny ways

Will bring laughter to your heart,

But will you feel as warm to me

When all the troubles start?

When my natural instincs surface

And confusion makes me scream,

When despair at being trapped sets in,

Will I still be your dream?

Will you still give me loving care

And help me through my pain,

Stand by me till my traumas cease

And I can make you smile again?

Or will you pack me up

And send me broken, on my way;

Then lament to all who listen

Just how much YOU hurt this day?

I have no say in what you do,

My life is in your hands.

But this small thing I ask of you,

'Please, will you understand?'

If I should tear my feathers out

Despite how much you care,

Will you still think Im beautiful,

And be proud that I am there?

Can you give me all these things,

And love without condition?

And when my final journey beckons me,

Will you give me your permission?

If you can see my time is up,

And Im needing to escape,

Will you just hold me one last time

Through that journey I must make?

If you can do these simple things

And never think your efforst vain,

And not resent the love you gave

Throughout our joys,

Throughout our pain;

Then you will be my Angel,

here on earth my whole life through,

And from here, for all eternity,

I will be YOUR angel too.

Jane, I've read you post.

I fully understand how and why you are feeling this way. Sensing such anguish and despair....and sadness.

There's no need for me to add anymore to the kind and supportive words people have already said.

As I said..........................I understand. xxxxxx

Excellent thread. x

I think it's a good idea to write things down and know your friends are there for you. Losing a pet is awful. Doughnut is 10 months old and I've had her for 8 months. When she was ill the other month I took the week off work and lost lots of weight with worry. I don't know how I'd cope without her and she's only "new". I thought if anything happened to her I'd never get another pet as it's so upsetting but when I think of how much she makes me happy then it's worth it in the long run. I felt a bit pathetic when I went back to work but everyone was really kind as they have pets and feel exactly the same way. In fact when I was off I'd never had so many phone calls asking how she was every day!

hugs and thinking of you xxxx I think youre very strong and are a huge inspiration....I think its great your writing this thread...xxxxhugs xxxx:love:

I understand how you are feeling. Life is beautiful and fragile. When we are reminded of the frailty of life so many times of course it has an impact on our heart and soul.

I doubt I could ever be as strong as you are Jane.

(((hugs))) Xxx

You are an amazing bunny Mummy :love:

Tomorrow we are back at C's again. We are seeing L though as C is on holiday.

I am so scared for Morse, one of the lumps on his 'bits' is now MUCH bigger and harder :cry: I fear he will have to have it removed now :cry:

Rabbits171.jpg

Then there is poor Hal who has lost even more weight :cry:

Colin's ears are still awful despite all the treatment :cry:

The thread is a really good idea. It's a good way to try and cope with an awful situation. Thinking of you and understand how tough it must be to have so many living on borrowed time. Sending you hugs xx

Back