• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long to break a bun's habit?

Pix

Warren Scout
Quick question.

I have two buns. Till recently their routine has been pellets in the morning - then let loose in shed.
Moved to run after work (if light enough)
Moved from run to shed when getting dark. Veggies in shed. Littertray changed.
Hopping around shed till about 9pm and then some fresh herbs in a bowl go in hutch, bunnies follow.
Door to hutch shut, shed swept and cleaned.
Pop out at 10pm to deliver fresh hay, have nightly nose rubs and snarffles and deliver hot water bottles if cold (on hutch under old duvet to warm the air. Not in hutch.)

However over the last few weeks one of them has taken to doing a giant piddle next to the littertray between herb and bedtime and hay time. Meaning I've had to clean the hutch and replace a lot of the bedding at bedtime every night.

In an effort to break the habit I scrubbed out the hutch with vinegar and rinsed well with water. Ensured it was all dry then re made up the hutch. I've been giving them their herbs in the shed and trying to tempt them into the hutch at 10pm with just sonethjng really quick to eat, and then getting them straight into enjoying the fresh hay to try to distract then from the routine of the bedtime-middle-of-the-floor-piddle. It's working, but it's much harder to get them into bed, it's more stressful and hay time isn't as lovely as it used to be.

How long do I need to keep this up before herb time can move back into the hutch and the weeing will be forgotten??

I suspect it might be a reaction to being put away for the night. They come to learn our routines and will use peeing as a way to tell us something. Mine used to do it early in the morning to get me to get up and feed them. I adapted my routine for a while and they stopped

If the run is secure enough for the daytime it will be secure enough for at night. Foxes come around during the day too.

Hmm, that's not really an option, but thank you anyway.

I guess I'll aim for a fortnight and see if that works. They've not used it as a protest since I changed their routine.

Back