• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could a bumblebee harm a bunny?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
My OH just said he saw a huuuuuuge bumble bee buzz in through the large mesh run and get lost in the attached small mesh run and the hutch. It found its way out again, but he suggested putting smaller mesh over the big one?

Obviously if they were free ranging it would just go away, he was concerned that it might get angry if it couldn't find the way out and sting one of the rabbits.

Is he over thinking this or should I do something? It hadn't even occured to me tbh!

I can't imagine a bee sting doing any more harm to a rabbit than it does to a human, unless they are allergic. I think he is being a bit paranoid, but I share the same thoughts often :)

rosie used to scare us all to death she used to run into the cotoneaster, a haven for bee's literally thousands gather on it in summer, they used to buzz off the shrub and then come towards us so we ran away, sure she did it to laugh at us :lol:

The big bumbles are just waking up hence the bumbling. If there's nothing in your bun's cage to appeal to bees (flowers, etc) it's unlikely to be a regular occurrence. And bees don't sting out of spite - only as defence. However, bees do look for water so if there's open water in an open part of a cage, it might be an idea to have a second shallow bowl outside the cage which will be more accessible should a passing bee want a drink.

My cats play with bees in spring :)roll:) and they do get stung but apart from becoming Angelina Jolie cats for a day or two, it doesn't harm them.

Back