• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another poop question!!

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Doughnut had been ill last month as her cecal was runny and she had gas. I thought she was all sorted now after being rushed to the vets, having treatment and then just giving her an egg cup full of SS pellets, bramble leaves and lots of hay. Since she's been ill and so far this month her urine has been a rusty colour. I know the leaves make it go darker but she's had antibiotics so she hasn't got a urine infection. Anyway she went to get her nails clipped yesterday and the vet said he thought she may have diarrhea as she had a dirty bum or it may be where she had sat in her litter tray. I just gave her hay for 24 hours and just giving her a half egg cup of pellets now if that. The trouble is how can I tell if she has got diarhhea. I understand that she only makes the cecal pellets once a day and if they are runny I can't tell because of the colour of her urine! Should her urine go back to being lighter again if she's only on pellets and hay and if she had diarhhea would her other poops be big round and golden like they are. Sorry to ask 20 questions but if her poops are large and crumble could she still have runny cecal and be unwell. She's happy and running around so doesn't seem in any pain and eating lots of hay and drinking.

I don't know if this will help but my Poppy can't eat hay, she is on a pellet diet to keep her teeth down, and understandably her bum can get messy. We cleaned her bun yesterday so it shouldn't need doing for at least a month now.

When she stopped eating and we were syringe feeding her, her poos became quite wet, they looked normal but were kind of soggy, and her grapey poops (technical term ;)) were just big sloppy things. Once she started eating her pellets they became/have become more solid. Maybe after a few days she will start pooping properly but I'm not really sure :) hopefully someone can come and offer some advice :wave:

Thanks for that. I'm giving her mainly hay now and only about 6 pellets. She has had some new hay though so now has a mixture of meadow hay and timothy hay. Her poops were small this morning but lots of them but I don't think she drunk a lot so may be a bit dehydrated. Hoping she is back to normal when I get home as she's jumping up for pellets so is OK in herself! Hopefully someone on here can advise.

Back