• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unspayed B&T Hare Doe

Mollyrose

Warren Scout
My doe is very touchy at the moment, shes just turned six months, and will be getting spayed soonish, but will she calm down after she's been spayed? she 'honks/grunts' when ever you put you're hands near her, ive been bitten twice, and she's a little terror to hold, she loves her little nose rubs. But try and stroke her back or sides and she'll try and have your hand off! :( She's such a gorgeous little Girl.. wish i could handle her more.. Any suggestions? x

Its worth noting that whilst her hormones may be making her grumpy and more likely to respond badly, you may be doing something that she doesnt like and she's just not standing for it anymore. As rabbits grow up they tend to make their dislike of being held clearer.

Also, be aware that if the behaviour is hormonal, hormonal behaviours can become ingrained, a habit, if left too long, and so will take longer to, or may never disappear.

I believe from what I've read that in most cases, if the behaviour is purely hormonal not triggered by something you are doing and hasnt become habitual, grumpy does usually improve a bit by 2-3 months after the op.

edit: have you considered that she may dislike you touching her sides as she thinks you are about to pick her up? Just occured to me.

Last edited:
Some bunnies will only allow you to stroke their nose. Don't touch her chin or the side of her jaw as you may insult her (touching there means YOU want grooming). She sounds like she is telling you where she likes and doesn't likes being touched. Most rabbits don't like being picked up so I would avoid picking her up unless it's necessary. I have 2 bunnies; Fiver doesn't care if I pick him up but will tell me he didn't approve when I put him back down by "foot flicking" and occasionally grunting at me. My other bun, Xena, will try to run away as I pick her up and will struggle so I don't pick her up unless I really need to.

Every bunny is different :)

Now rosie has been spayed, she is a little ANGEL! incredible!, she changed overnight!, she now flops over next to me and lets me pick her up & everything :) <3

Some bunnies will only allow you to stroke their nose. Don't touch her chin or the side of her jaw as you may insult her (touching there means YOU want grooming). She sounds like she is telling you where she likes and doesn't likes being touched. Most rabbits don't like being picked up so I would avoid picking her up unless it's necessary. I have 2 bunnies; Fiver doesn't care if I pick him up but will tell me he didn't approve when I put him back down by "foot flicking" and occasionally grunting at me. My other bun, Xena, will try to run away as I pick her up and will struggle so I don't pick her up unless I really need to.

Every bunny is different :)

lol so true amys a bit like xena hehe doesnt like being picked up either bit big for it too :lol:
i just lure her into a carrier less stressful :)
ants not to bad :D

Have you had her since a baby? If she started off sweet and friendly, then the aggressive behaviour set in as she grew up then it's quite likely to be hormonal and neutering should improve it :)

i had her at nine weeks, she's never liked being picked up, but yeah she started to get all hormonal at about four months old, but im soo happy that she's calmed right down and has become a little Angel! :'D I love her so much! :) :love:

DSCF2467-1.jpg

DSCF2429.jpg

DSCF2427.jpg

Back