• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sam (bluesmum)'s Blue has died

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Sam 'phoned me earlier this morning with the dreadful news that her beloved Blue has gone to the Bridge suddenly.

He had been fine yesterday but J, Sam's partner, found him looking unwell this morning. They rushed him to the vet where he died.

He was losing a greeny thick type faeces and the vet nurse said she hadn't seen anything like it before. Blue died whilst wrapped in a blankie being cuddled by Sam and J. He was then brought home so Marnie could say good-bye. She washed Blue and then washed Sam's face. Blue then went back to the vet for a necropsy and will have an individual cremation.

Poor Sam is in bits. It is such a shock. She has only recently had bloods done because both buns were drinking a lot and the bloods for both buns came back normal.

Blue was a gorgeous bun - full of character and he adored his wife, Marnie, and was incredibly gentle with Rosie, Sam's toddler. I've had a couple of nips from him lately as he took a dislike to the smell of one of my cats, but he let me give him nose rubs afterwards.

Binky free at the Bridge, Blue.

Thinking of you Sam, J and Rosie and Marnie xxxxxxxx

I'm very sorry to hear that. I loved hearing stories of their escapades.

Thinking of you Sam, and your family (including Marnie).

Binky Free Blue.

Thank you all. I'm totally devistated. We've had the results from the PM, Vet found some tin foil in his stomach....and thinks it might have been toxicity poisoning. So it is all my fault for not keeping him safe.
It was so sudden, there was nothing we could do. He had been fine last night and early this morning, eating and being himself. When we came down to make tea at about 8 he was shaking in his litter tray. Rang the vet and said we were bringing him in. Then he fell out of the litter tray and we rushed off to the vet.
got there before the vet so one of the nurses let us in. He was cold so we wrapped him in a blanket with a snuggle safe and I cuddled him as she did basic obs on him. His heart rate was normal, as was his temp. Then he kind of struggled like he was trying to stand up and was gone.
There was no mouth breathing and he didnt scream or anything horrible. He just went.
We brought him home so that Marnie could say goodbye. Took the top off the carrier and she got in with him. Gave him a wash and a nudge. I layed down with them both and gave them a cuddle, Marnie washed my face and then washed Blue again. Then she got out and went to her tray.
Rosie came and said goodbye and gave him a kiss and a cuddle. She doesn't really understand but I wanted her to say goodbye.
He will be privately cremated and I hill have some of his ashes made into a pendant like Laras.
I just feel totally shocked and gutted. Have managed to get hold of Mum in the States and tell her but not Belly yet :( I don't want to put anything on FB yet cause I don't want to ruin Sam's first mothers day.
I just don't know what to do :cry:

Oh god, this is just horrendous news, I am so deeply sorry bluesmum :cry::cry::cry:

Losing a beloved bun so suddenly like that affects you so profoundly, the grief coupled with the shock is crippling, I know because I lost my Tilly in the same way :cry: Give yourself time and be kind to yourself. DO NOT blame yourself hun, we all as bunny owners know how tenacious and sneaky they can be if they have their eye on something. Guilt is part of the grief process, most of us that have lost a bun have blamed ourselves. It will get easier hun, I promise.

Im so so sorry again (((HUGS)))

Sleep tight sweet Blue xxxxxxxx

I am so shocked and upset to read this :cry::cry: I know how much you loved him Sam and can only guess how you are feeling right now :cry::cry:

He had an amazing life with you and Marnie :love: Sending lots of nose rubs and love to Marnie and thinking of you all at this sad time xx

What an absolutely heartbreaking thing to happen :cry:
Sam, although I dont really know you, I am in tears for you here, and darn't even try and imagine what you must be going through. Please please PLEASE dont torture yourself with self-blame though. IF it was the tinfoil, it could have been walked in on somebody's shoe, if darling Blue played outside it could've been a stray piece of litter that had simply blown in, a bit of chewing gum foil, any number of things. You are not to blame, no way, not ever.
Sending you the tightest hug,
Annie xxx

I've been thinking of you all say Sam :( your text really shocked and upset me, blue was such a special bunny and I know how much it hurts :( you gave him a wonderful life, both him and marnie were all over me everytime I came round and that's proof on how relaxed and happy they have been with you. I hope Marnie is coping ok, I'm so sorry honey, sending you a huge hug.

Binky free handsome blue, certainly a bunny I will never forget and was incredibly fond of xxx

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. I've not been on here long but I know you doted on him, such awful news. Please don't blaim yourself hun, they are so quick at picking things up and devouring them in the blink of an eye.

Back