• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harvey's not eating

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
He was his greedy little self last night and then this morning he's turned his nose up at his grain :( I've tried tempting him with apple, parsley, greens and carrot but he doesn't want any :( he's not quite as lively as usual but not too bad :( trying to look to see if he's passing feces but I am finding it difficult to tell with two rabbits and the large space they're rubbing around in :( Lilly is absolutely fine, trying to steal the food I'm tempting Harvey with.

So scared!! And it's a Sunday do the vets is closed :( he's cleaning himself fine. Just seems a little lethargic and wants lots of nose runs :( no firm tummy, doesn't seem sore for me to touch either.

Going to wait an hour and see if I can spot any poos :( really scared though :(

He just took a very tiny, reluctant small mouthful of grain, he's eating v slowly, still turning down veg :( but at least it's something. :(

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. They seem to always do this when it's out of hours. However, you do need to call the emergency vet to get him seen.

I've called the emergency vet, £130 just for consultation, treatment fees on top :( insurance is active on the 21st!! This is so frustrating I can't afford it :(

Does anyone know of a cheap out of hours emergency vet in Bristol?

On top of this I don't have a car do I don't know how to get him there :(

I've found one that is £50 so I am going to go there. He just keeps lying down and doing bunny flops, it looked like he ate a caecotroph but he could have just been grooming his bum. Still turning down all food :(

The bunny flops confuse me he normally does them when he is excited and playful and happy :s maybe he's doing them from exhaustion after playing? :( which means he must be quite I'll to be exhausted from sitting all morning! :(

I've found one that is £50 so I am going to go there. He just keeps lying down and doing bunny flops, it looked like he ate a caecotroph but he could have just been grooming his bum. Still turning down all food :(

The bunny flops confuse me he normally does them when he is excited and playful and happy :s maybe he's doing them from exhaustion after playing? :( which means he must be quite I'll to be exhausted from sitting all morning! :(

I've seen them do very similar flops when they've got severe abdominal pain as well. I've got one bunny (Artie) who never flops like that when he's happy only when he has pain.

Glad you've found a vet, I hope it's one who knows their way round a rabbit and Harvey's feeling better soon.

Should Lilly go with Harvey to the vets? :/ they are happy being in a carrier together, but would it stress her to have to come back by herself if Harvey needs to stay :s or would she be more stressed sitting in their joint hutch by herself :s

I've seen them do very similar flops when they've got severe abdominal pain as well. I've got one bunny (Artie) who never flops like that when he's happy only when he has pain.

Glad you've found a vet, I hope it's one who knows their way round a rabbit and Harvey's feeling better soon.

What she said. Good luck! Please let us know how you get on. x

I've just remembered he fell from the top storey of his hutch to the bottom floor yesterday :s he's done this once before but landed on his feet, yday he landed on his side but got up and shook it off so I assumed he was fine. I'm now worried he's really injured himself in the fall :( it was only 1 and a half foot though :s and he landed on hay :s

He's shaking too :(

I would take both buns, unless you know Lilly gets extremely stressed with vet trips. The fall could be a coincidence, but mention it to the vets so they know what to check for. I hope the vet can help and Harvey starts eating soon. Sending lots of vibes xx

Good luck with the vets.

Definitely take them both together, it will be more stressful for Harvey if he is taken on his own and you may risk upsetting their bond if you split them, especially when Harvey is feeling unwell.

What time is your appt hun? x

Harvey's breathing, heart and mouth are fine, she said she's heard no gut movement, but it could be stress of being at vets, he's had meds to get his gut moving though and I have more to give him plus critical care stuff, just before we left bets he munched a tiny bit of hay and some parsley :) he's still super lethargic though, and no poos :( just caught him drinking though which is good :)

Poor Harvey. Has he been given pain relief and fluids? did the vet feel his abdomen? Was there a blockage?

She said his abdomen felt fine, no blockages that she could feel, he's not dehydrated, he's been given pain relief, she thinks he may have injured himself falling although she can't tell how as he's walking fine. So if he's not eating still by tomo I have to take him back.

Also how do you get critical care into a bunny who doesn't want it?!?!?!?!?!

If he deteriorates, then please don't be afraid to take him back. Well done for getting him seen today :)

I would say make a very watery mix because that can be easier to syringe. If he is fighting you feeding though, whilst it makes it more difficult, that is a good sign.

Well done on getting him seen. Did the vet also check his teeth to make sure this wasn't the cause of him not eating?

What is his favourite treat? Have you tried tempting him with some banana or dry oats? When I've had poorly buns they have perked up a little and eaten these. Not too many though, but worth a try to get him eating again x

He's fighting very well! Giving him a break now will try again soon, he's laying down exhausted from the fighting against me. In all fairness that critical care stuff smells gross! Even Lilly came over for a sniff and ran off doing little sneezes to get rid of the smell!

Could you use a food processor and make a 'mix' of his favourite fresh foods to syringe into him?

Or maybe make a pellet slurry from his normal pellets and feed that instead?

Back