• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cyst type soft lump containing hair

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi All
Really need some advice.
My rabbit is getting treated for EC/ear infection....already written a very long post about this.
Well a few weeks ago I noticed he had a soft lump near his ankle. Off we went to the vet and i was rold it was a pocket of fluid from the joint and harmless!
Well tonight i lifted him to give his meds before bed and noticed the lump is leaking clear fluid and there was a tuft of hair sticking out so i pulled it not realising its coming from the lump! :shock:
I pulled a bit more to check and its def coming from inside the soft lump with a bit of clear fluid. No pus in site at all though.
He has rolled more today...compared to the last few days that is.His balance seems worse.

So i called the vet who does his acupunctiure as the on call vet is a 30 min journey and he cant even do vet visits as he continually rolls :(
She said it sounds like a cyst. However, given that he is very unstable health wise she thinks its not a good idea taking him to the vet on call as he basically lies on his side and rolls when outside my house...this is due to the ec/ear infection. And the last time i called them they suggested just pts as it would b much easier than caring for him and trying to treat him :(

So I am basically waiting it out till monday and i am now terrified of leaving him alone tonight. Was told that as long as he is eating,peeing and pooping then get him to my vet on Monday morning. As if i took him to the oncall vet they prob couldnt give me anything more than he is on.He is on penicillin injections,metacam and metoclopramide so she feels they probably couldnt offer anything else.
I am now a nervous wreck :(

If anyone has any idea what this could be plkease let me know.
I am sick with worry now that after 6 weeks something is going to happen to him
Looks like its bunny watch on the sofa for me again.
Just when things were starting to show improvement...this happens :(

thanks
Leesa.

I really don't kno, I'm sorry. I hope someone comes along who might though. Could it be an infected hair folicle?

Back