• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do...

About a stunning REW rex bun in my local P@H adoption centre. He has no front teeth and a blocked saliva gland. I worry about him getting taken on by some one who doesn't know what they're doing, just because it's cheaper to get him then to buy a bun. :cry:

I'd take him myself but I just don't feel confident enough in my albilites to look after him, or my financial state atm. If any one on here could offer him a home, I'd be willing to foster him, and to do part of a bun run to get him a good home.

I don't think so, as he's out on the shop floor. :( If I where to get him, and keep him as an indoor bunster, other then feeding him chopped hay, and keeping an eye to his teeth, what would I have to do?

I don't think so, as he's out on the shop floor. :( If I where to get him, and keep him as an indoor bunster, other then feeding him chopped hay, and keeping an eye to his teeth, what would I have to do?

If it were a Dental abscess then he should be under Veterinary Care. He would no doubt require surgery, including skull radiographs to see if there is already osteomyelitis (infection in the bone),if so then prognosis would be grave :cry: Swabs would need to be taken from the abscess wall to determine what bacteria are involved and what antibiotics would be most appropriate to use. Pain management would be essential.

All you describe sounds very much like advanced Dental Disease :cry: This would mean ongoing, probably lifelong Veterinary treatment. This would obviously involve a very large financial commitment :cry:

Poor bunny. If it is an abcess they are quite difficult to treat. You would need to have it removed at the vets and then flush and fill with manuka honey and they have a habbit of returning.

I don't think he'd be out "on sale" if he where still receiving treatment.. :? Might run over this afternoon and have another look at him/get some piccies.

I would talk to staff about your concerns before assuming he has not been seen or making assumptions on what it could be. Non of us are vets or even seen this animal in person. They would have to be very stupid to put a sick animal on sale.

We have space for male bunnies here but he is a million miles away :(

If you were able to offer him a place I'm sure a bunny run could be arranged. He'd be welcome to stay here en route (I think I'd be about 100 - 120 miles for Nicola's part of the world) .

If you were able to offer him a place I'm sure a bunny run could be arranged. He'd be welcome to stay here on route (I think I'd be about 100 - 120 miles for Nicola's part of the world) .

Thank you, it just sounds like he needs to have quite urgent treatment so needs to be here asap so not sure a long bunny run would be in his best interests but we are certainly willing to help if there is no alternative. I think you must be around 200 miles from us and obviously the bunny is a lot further than that :?

Thank you, it just sounds like he needs to have quite urgent treatment so needs to be here asap so not sure a long bunny run would be in his best interests but we are certainly willing to help if there is no alternative. I think you must be around 200 miles from us and obviously the bunny is a lot further than that :?

Difficult one, isn't it :? If he does have an infection it could take hold really badly through the stress he would be put under. Maybe if P@H's vet could give their verdict on whether it's fair or not.

Difficult one, isn't it :? If he does have an infection it could take hold really badly through the stress he would be put under. Maybe if P@H's vet could give their verdict on whether it's fair or not.

This is my worry, he needs treatment now and once its started a long journey is not going to be in his best interests and if anyone else was going to house him temporarily for us and get treatment they may end up having him for a very long time so we wouldn't be much help :?

But if there is no alternative rather than bunny left to suffer if anyone can help get him here as soon as possible we will get him immediate vet treatment. Steve would help but he is going in the opposite direction next weekend for Lacey :(

Back