• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When we cleaned the chickens out!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
I forgot to post these pictures after we cleaned them out ..!

James wore his gas mask.. and pink gloves :lol: The amount of poo in the houses.. I cleaned the water tub things and food dispensers that go in the houses. The water tubs had obviously never been cleaned out.. they were vile and when I put them in after the chickens all had a drink of clean water. The food things had a lump of mould in them. It was disgusting... If you're going to have animals then it shouldn't be a massive chore to clean them out every now and then. It took us an hour. And they usually get cleaned out every 3 weeks. So the smell is rank! but (this may sound horrible) since the other chickens died the smell of the remaining 10 chickens is fine. NO SMELL ACTUALLY! :D They have a big space but it wasn't a space for 27 chickens.. Hopefully they don't get anymore until they get alpacas (which I will be helping to take care of otherwise it would be done half arsed :roll:)

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

He put a whole bale of straw around the houses so the chickys didn't have to walk on the sludgy poop covered mud.. and they LOVE it :lol: There are about 4 of them lying in it now :)

IMAG0240.jpg

I gave them a load of grass too and they liked pecking at their greenery :D

IMAG0241.jpg

gotta love that look :lol: an hour though :shock: Lovely, solid looking coops they have there.

My dad's girlfriend poo picks every day and says it only takes her 10 minutes. I do my coop on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays which only takes a few minutes, then 3 or 4 times a year we take out any badly soiled litter from the run and chuck in a couple more bags of aubiose - deep litter works surprisingly well and the chooks love it as they always have something to dig around in :D

Back