• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Bunny still breast feeding off mum at 11 weeks old??

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
Is this right?? She was the smallest of the litter, probably the runt. Has any one else experienced this?

all ours tried it - but mum got fed up at 10 weeks - if its the runt then let it - is it eating hay and stuff as well?

Yeh she is eating hay, nuggets she don't stop eating lol. Mum sometimes pushes her off but most time she lets her.

no idea hope someone can offer some advice, know when i got sox, he kept trying to under mabel like he thought she was his mum, i kept sayng no sox she not your mummy, she your new friend, bless him :lol:

Is the kit definitely feeding? I thought Muppette's daughter was continuing to feed (aged 6 months!) but I now realise that she just pushes her head under her mother for comfort. Well, I guess it's comfort. :? She's now aged 16 months and I still glance in the run and see Muppette lying looking a bit "hunched" with just the back and hindquarters of Gingernut showing. I'll see if I can find a photo.

If the kit is still feeding, I guess it's a gentle way of drying off the doe's milk?

Is the kit definitely feeding? I thought Muppette's daughter was continuing to feed (aged 6 months!) but I now realise that she just pushes her head under her mother for comfort. Well, I guess it's comfort. :? She's now aged 16 months and I still glance in the run and see Muppette lying looking a bit "hunched" with just the back and hindquarters of Gingernut showing. I'll see if I can find a photo.

If the kit is still feeding, I guess it's a gentle way of drying off the doe's milk?

thats what thnk sox was dong with mabel when we first got him

I actually saw both of them feeding off her the other day, her nipples are quite big still but what worries me she has lost her fur around them :S I dont want her to go bald underneath. I think its where the milk has stuck the fur together and its caused the fur to fall out maybe? They are defo feeding coz can hear it lol

If you gradually cut down her pellets then her milk supply should gradually dry up. Keep an eye as you do it though to ensure no bunnies lose weight.

I'm presuming these are both female babies?

...her nipples are quite big still but what worries me she has lost her fur around them :S I dont want her to go bald underneath.
Do rabbits - in line with many mammals - lose fur / hair from around their nipples when lactating because it makes it easier for new borns to find the nipple and latch on?

The other day, I did get a very poor photo of Gingernut (now 16 months old) who'd tucked under her mother while Muppette chomps on a dandelion she missed earlier. Gingernut's bum can be seen the other side of Muppette's head and the bit of brown under Muppette is Gingernut's nose. :roll:

mum-1.jpg

If you gradually cut down her pellets then her milk supply should gradually dry up. Keep an eye as you do it though to ensure no bunnies lose weight.

I'm presuming these are both female babies?

Yes they are both female bunnies, I was lucky all four of the babies were female, the two black ones went to my friend. I decided to keep the white one, and the little brown one couldnt find a home ( I called her the ugly duckling as no one seemed to want her) She is actually the sweetest out of them all so I couldn't part with her either.

Back