• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringe feeding

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
I was wondering whether anyone else does this regularly, not with medicine, but just to get bun used to it incase you ever need to give them medicine this way? With Jessie being on the antibiotics etc she still resists capture but is getting better at just taking the syringe so it seems to get just a little less stressfuly each time really. Domino gets really intrigued as he can see me giving it to her (even though they are separate at the moment, I wondered whether giving him something nice in the syringe for him to try might make it easier if *** hopefully not *** I ever need to give him medicine too...

Is it worth trying or will I just be causing unecessary stress by trying to make him eat it?:love:x

I used to syringe train my rabbits. It worked to an extent but I wasn't as reliable with it as I should have been to get it as successful as it could be.

For me syringe training meant filling a syringe with something nommy and holding it up for them to drink. They learnt that it brought nice things and worked reasoably well.

I think I might give it a go, maybe apple juice, just a little... I hate seeing Jessie stress out when we have to give her the medicine, it would be much less stressful all round if she actually wanted to drink from the syringe. I dont know if it could really work tho, could they not smell & taste the difference between medicine mixed with juice, and just juice? Jessie seems to sort of sniff it and then look away disapprovingly :roll: xx

Back