• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yearly dental examination

Dave81

Mama Doe
What would one consist of? Is it just a case of the vet using that special tool thingy to look in to the rabbits mouth? sorry can't remember the tools name someone mentioned it on here the other say.

I told my vet that I'd got the buns insured and had to have a yearly dental exam, she always checks around their jaw for lumps and bumps and has a good look at their teeth so she made a point of writing it on their notes when they went for their myxi boosters. I haven't seen the tool but have heard about it being used if they aren't happy and want a closer inspection.

Thanks, yes mines to do with insurance. I may ring the vets in a couple of weeks to see what it is they would do.

I'm not in any rush at the moment

A full check with an ottoscope, a feel around the jaw line for lumps and bumps is what Petplan asked of our Petplan approved vets :wave:

What would one consist of? Is it just a case of the vet using that special tool thingy to look in to the rabbits mouth? sorry can't remember the tools name someone mentioned it on here the other say.

Yes, checking with an auroscope/otoscope and also feeling along the mandible for any lumpiness, a sign of tooth root elongation. Any history of dacryocystitis (runny eyes) could also indicate tooth root issues.

Cheers Graham I might just ring the insurance company first to see what the requirement is for the examination.

I'm with P@H, I assume it would be the same kind of check which Petplan require

A full check with an ottoscope, a feel around the jaw line for lumps and bumps is what Petplan asked of our Petplan approved vets :wave:

Ah ha, ottoscope. I will check my terms and conditions and see if I need to ask Lucy to use one next time. We've had no problems so far, fingers crossed we stay that way. Ta for the helpful post!

Thanks for the replies, glad I got bored in the bath as it gave me chance to read the policy in full

Back