• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what wud be better?

shadow05

Mama Doe
hi everyone,

its been awhile, anyways basically its come around to that time when i have the money to but more litter for scooter. but i dont know if i shud order megazorb or to try something else. ive decided that im definately not gonna buy anymore wood shavings because its rubbish really.

i was looking at that back to nature stuff but im not sure of it and i know some people on here use it. so which one do u think i shud go for?

If you're getting on well with megazorb I'd stick with it. Iirc it's one of the cheapest options so great if you're on a budget.
sacks of megazorb are really light as well aren't they? which I imagine is good for you with your physical problems?

I just get wood based cat litter from tesco. You can also get similar from wilkinsons or p@h. It's cheap, safe, and works great for us!

If you're getting on well with megazorb I'd stick with it. Iirc it's one of the cheapest options so great if you're on a budget.
sacks of megazorb are really light as well aren't they? which I imagine is good for you with your physical problems?

i wud but im wanting to try something that will be more helpful for me and scooter. seen as im working i cant clean him out as much as id like too. so im wanting something that will still smell alright even after a couple of days. the megazorb is okay but even its wet the smell it gives off is horrible. i know its bad that im not cleaning him out reguarly but he has a huge litter tray as well as another one that he never uses.

im okay now. since ive been working ive gotten a lot better most of the muscle mass on my legs has finally come back which is really good.

at moment hes just in a big gaint run in my bed room i did use to let him free range but then he trashed my room and destroyed my brand new quilt covers. so as a compromise i gave him a big run which takes up about half my room and he think its bloody great lol xx

I've used aubiose in the past which is really cheap and controls smells really well (I still use it for my mice who are stinky little *******), but the bag is quite heavy.

Perhaps you could get him a covered litter tray as well? That might help contain the smell.

i wud but im wanting to try something that will be more helpful for me and scooter. seen as im working i cant clean him out as much as id like too. so im wanting something that will still smell alright even after a couple of days. the megazorb is okay but even its wet the smell it gives off is horrible. i know its bad that im not cleaning him out reguarly but he has a huge litter tray as well as another one that he never uses.

im okay now. since ive been working ive gotten a lot better most of the muscle mass on my legs has finally come back which is really good.

at moment hes just in a big gaint run in my bed room i did use to let him free range but then he trashed my room and destroyed my brand new quilt covers. so as a compromise i gave him a big run which takes up about half my room and he think its bloody great lol xx

Really?

I use megazorb, ontop of newspaper and then under hay and i NEVER smell the megazorb, and thats with two house rabbits, one of which pees about 3 times more than a regular rabbit due to her kidney issues.

Wonder what it is you can smell.

How often do you normally do a FULL clean of a litter tray and does he have more than one?

I've used aubiose in the past which is really cheap and controls smells really well (I still use it for my mice who are stinky little *******), but the bag is quite heavy.

Perhaps you could get him a covered litter tray as well? That might help contain the smell.

wats a covered litter tray?

Really?

I use megazorb, ontop of newspaper and then under hay and i NEVER smell the megazorb, and thats with two house rabbits, one of which pees about 3 times more than a regular rabbit due to her kidney issues.

Wonder what it is you can smell.

How often do you normally do a FULL clean of a litter tray and does he have more than one?

ive always had the same smelly problem with scooter cause he always pee in the same cornor he never pees anywhere else unless hes stressed or is upset about something. but its a very strong ammina smell. normally i clean out once a week some times less. i give it a full clean out every time and i use diluted white vinegar. every so often when i have enought time ill use boiling vinger or a lot of washing up liquid. ive used cif once and washed it out good knows how many times. i did use to use newspaper under the megazorb but he started getting wise to it and use to pull it all up and tear it which i dont have a problem with like but it made a huge messcause hes fling the dirty litter every where :roll: hes a very dirty bunny :). also he has one huge litter tray and one small one which he nevers uses he just digs in it and goes to sleep in it. :)

Last edited:
ive always had the same smelly problem with scooter cause he always pee in the same cornor he never pees anywhere else unless hes stressed or is upset about something. but its a very strong ammina smell. normally i clean out once a week some times less. i give it a full clean out every time and i use diluted white vinegar. every so often when i have enought time ill use boiling vinger or a lot of washing up liquid. ive used cif once and washed it out good knows how many times. i did use to use newspaper under the megazorb but he started getting wise to it and use to pull it all up and tear it which i dont have a problem with like but it made a huge messcause hes fling the dirty litter every where :roll: hes a very dirty bunny :). also he has one huge litter tray and one small one which he nevers uses he just digs in it and goes to sleep in it. :)

Once a week really isn't enough, if you are smelling ammonia, you're leaving it too long, thats when it could start affecting health, both his, and yours :wave:

Good luck trying things, but to be honest, i can't see aubiose making any difference if you're leaving it a week.

Once a week really isn't enough, if you are smelling ammonia, you're leaving it too long, thats when it could start affecting health, both his, and yours :wave:

Good luck trying things, but to be honest, i can't see aubiose making any difference if you're leaving it a week.

as i said its not always a week some times it can be 5 days i try to do it as soon as i can. even though im only suppose to be working 16 hrs im working 20 plus hours. and there odd shifts like some are in a morning which is okay cause after ive finished ive got rest of the day to do wat i need to some or shifts later on in day which makes it harder to sort out. ive cleaned him out today already. but im using wood shavings at moment cause i ran out of megazorb one week and i didnt have much money after sorting out some things which were unavoidable.

I have to agree with Graham, if you're only cleaning him out once a week then it is going to smell, and that's not good for either of you.

How about trying to find ways to make cleaning out easier? For instance, having spare trays so you can just swap them over and then clean the dirty ones when you feel up to it.
we have four trays on rotation to make cleaning out easier, which means we can empty and clean the trays on the days that suit us.

What other commitments do you have, besides work? maybe drawing up a schedule would help as it sounds like you're struggling to juggle everything.
Most people work 35+ hours in a week as well as taking care of animals/kids and getting all the housework, cooking, shopping, laundry, etc done so with a bit of planning I reckon you should be able to manage. :thumb:

Last edited:
as i said its not always a week some times it can be 5 days i try to do it as soon as i can. even though im only suppose to be working 16 hrs im working 20 plus hours. and there odd shifts like some are in a morning which is okay cause after ive finished ive got rest of the day to do wat i need to some or shifts later on in day which makes it harder to sort out. ive cleaned him out today already. but im using wood shavings at moment cause i ran out of megazorb one week and i didnt have much money after sorting out some things which were unavoidable.

:( I appreciate you struggle financially, but 5-7 days is not enough. Especially if he's a messy bun. If you can smell ammonia, you're leaving it too long.

I only do a full litter tray clean once a week, but I remove wet litter twice a day (once in morning and once in evening) and replace it with a handful of clean litter. Could you do that? It only takes a couple of minutes twice a day to do and should reduce any smell.

I only do a full litter tray clean once a week, but I remove wet litter twice a day (once in morning and once in evening) and replace it with a handful of clean litter. Could you do that? It only takes a couple of minutes twice a day to do and should reduce any smell.

:thumb:

Spot cleaning is a great way of managing things as its a lot quicker, then like helennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn you do it once a week after that :D

Keyboard must of jammed :roll: :)

Spot cleaning is a great way of managing things as its a lot quicker, then like helennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn you do it once a week after that :D

I like to clean litter trays out completely every day. Use thickish layer of newspaper and then hay. Reckon it takes under 10 mins to change 2 if I'm not disinfecting that day.

I have to agree with Graham, if you're only cleaning him out once a week then it is going to smell, and that's not good for either of you.

How about trying to find ways to make cleaning out easier? For instance, having spare trays so you can just swap them over and then clean the dirty ones when you feel up to it.
we have four trays on rotation to make cleaning out easier, which means we can empty and clean the trays on the days that suit us.

What other commitments do you have, besides work? maybe drawing up a schedule would help as it sounds like you're struggling to juggle everything.
Most people work 35+ hours in a week as well as taking care of animals/kids and getting all the housework, cooking, shopping, laundry, etc done so with a bit of planning I reckon you should be able to manage. :thumb:

i never actually thought about that scooter 4 litter trays including his cold cage bottom which hes very taken with. lucky seen as he only tends to wee in one place cleaning isnt that bad its just a case of taking most of the wet wood shavings out and puttind fresh in its place. obviously some times i spray the area with vingar but not always.

as for other commitments not that many i sometimes have to help my mom with this and that. i have mostly everything to do with all animals in the house which is only two my own bunny boy and amy the family dog. theres the bf who has autism hes just recently moved and is having a hard time settling plus his parents have stuck him in the same room as his baby brothers. hes not that much of a problem really he stays over one day in the week and visits on another. which normally is the day that id normally clean scooter out so im having to rush to sort him out. as for work its not that i work too many hours i mean it certainly doesnt help but its the odd hours that i do say if ive got work in the afternoon which is most of the i cant clean him out then because im rushing around getting ready if i have my shift early in a morning then its okay its easier cause ill just do it when i get back. as for doing it later at twilight as we call it as work its difficult sometimes cause i have to get ready for work at some point and i cant leave it to late cause i dont like cleaning him when its dark outside. plus it upsets him when u interupt his playing lol he often plays with his quilts now he hides under them lol and he uses them along with his carrier to makewhat looks like the entrance to a rabbits warren its weird lol but im happy hes found something to play with that he loves and its pretty cheap to buy.

:( I appreciate you struggle financially, but 5-7 days is not enough. Especially if he's a messy bun. If you can smell ammonia, you're leaving it too long.

i know i try not to but i cant always get to it before that happens lucky im suppose to be going back to my old hours 16 with means ill have tuesday friday and sunday which means ill be able to get to it on those days.

on monday i work 730 til 11.30 weds is 1.30 til 530 thursday is normally 12 til 4 but sometimes it will change. sat is also 12 til 4.

my bodys still not adjusted to working yet. hopefully ill be able too i cant ask anybody else to do it especially with it being scooter he behaves well for my mom like but not that well. he wont willing go into his carrier for her but for me he will.

i cud but then id get told off by my mom for using the bin liners like that and i dont like to keep a bin liner full of rabbit soaked wood shavings in my room just in case if it gets opened by scooter :roll: or just gets opened because of somebody or something. i think i need to buy a bin for his dirty wood shavings one thats air tight if i can that might make it easier then i can just empty it after ive done a full clean.

I like to clean litter trays out completely every day. Use thickish layer of newspaper and then hay. Reckon it takes under 10 mins to change 2 if I'm not disinfecting that day.

ive tried newspaper he just finds it and tears it up everywhere makes a complete mess. the only way i can get it so that he doesnt is too use a lot of wood shavings or megazorb then cover it with a very big layer of hay. neither of which i can afford to waste to much of.

im not complaining that he makes a mess at all i accept that hes a rabbit and hes gonna be messy but i just barely can handle the mess he makes now. he molts like crazy im having to hover him out once a week and give him a good brushing down every couple of days in the little spare time i get to try and reduce it.

ill be glad when i finally move out depending on where we move too he may be outside or have a room to himself. and finally have a friend. ive decided that i cant get a baby now that hes 2 it wudnt be fair on the new bunny if scooter died way before the other one did. i know that age isnt always a factor in rabbits death and that either one of them cud die before the other. but still so im looking into getting a bun about his age so any where between 1 year to 3 years old. i know its silly to plan this because itll be his decision on who hell choose.

Back