• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prickly/thistley hay?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Do you think this is ok for buns? Quite a few times I've bought hay and it's had thistles in which have stuck in my hand, so I either don't give it to them, or sit and pick the thistles out. It was in the Bob Martins they loved, but I stopped buying it in the end.

Tonight I've pulled out their meadow hay and got prickled with some actual tiny splinters in my hand about 6 times from 3 handfuls, so surely if it hurts me, it must hurt their tiny tongues? I feel bad they still have a clump each in their hutch now and don't know whether to take it out. I know they come across allsorts in the wild I guess, but these little prickles are nasty ones!
It makes me wonder if any time they have refused to eat for a while in the past has been down to them hurting their tongues/mouth on a bit when I've not realised.

Any thoughts?

Ive wondered about this myself in the past, I used to buy bagged hay which was often prickly. The buns didn't seem to notice, although I picked out most of the prickly bits too! The splinters really hurt don't they?!

Sure do! :shock: it would be impossible to take these ones out I think. They all tucked right in, so I hope they are ok :?

I've been concerned about the quality of some hay which I've bought this year. I found black plastic in hay that I bought at Wickes. I took it back and was met with the response that there didn't seem to be any more in the bag so it was OK. I demanded my money back and will not buy hay there again. In Tesco I noticed that there was orange string in a couple of unopened packs on the shelves. I pointed it out to a member of staff who said that they would remove it from the shelves, but she didn't seem overly concerned about it.

I can understand why you are worried about them but my guys seem to cope fine with prickles. I fed them bramble branches and leaves which have big spikes on them and they eat the lot! I trust them to leave alone whichever things hurt them.

my lots loves thistles, nettles, brambles and the like, I actually collect them over the summer and dry the out for them to enjoy

I am currently in the second month of treating my French Lop Finley for an abcess in his hock. It was caused by him standing on a thorn in his hay. I am very fussy now and don't even put hay in his litter tray because I am worried that he will stand on another one! He has lots of hay in a tray that he cannot sit in!!

Back