• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

milly has eaten loads of rubber :-(

lja401

Warren Scout
Just got into the rabbits room and the dustpan and brush was on the floor with loads of rubber missing so it has obviously been eaten :-( i am so worried that she will kill herself from eating all the rubber. I am watching her and making sure she is going to the toilet. How long would it take for something to pass through a rabbits system?

Im notsire how long it's taken but mine have eaten lots that they shouldnt have over the years.

Just keep an eye on behaviour & what is going in & out. Mine have certainly eaten the rubber off the dustpan before.

Keep an eye and maybe every now and then (but not tooooo often) check they are eating with a pellet. Mine have had nibbles of rubber before and only once did anything come of it. Smudge had a nibble of some rubber off of something, can't remember what, and then the next day refused food, but after some stasis meds that my vet recommends I keep for emergencies he was fine. Might've been the rubber, might not have been but best keep a check on them thatthey are eating.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

I had to take Frankie to the vet after she ate a plastic bag, I completely convinced myself it was not going to end well, but the vet reassured me that she would have been chewing it up into small bunny size amounts as she ate it, so would probably pass just as easily. Just make sure you have a clean toilet area so you can easily see how much Milly is pooping out from now on. I even started to break open bumbles after a while but never found anything. Think it must have passed before I thought to do it!! xxx

How is she today?

You're right to be concerned, but as others have said some rabbits have eaten all sorts of things they shouldn't and amazingly been OK.

What is the attraction with rubber? Mine seem to love it, even when there are plenty of edible things around! They are particularly partial to the door seal on my balcony doors. I used to put my yoga mat out to cover up the slidey laminate flooring for them but that's now got a lovely chewed appearance. And Sergeant thinks the keys on my remote controls are delicious! Pepper probably would too but she's never ventured up onto the sofa.

They only get away with little bits at a time though and have never had any adverse effects from it. Sergeant has also eaten wrappers from Roses chocolates and even managed to gnaw a battery slightly!

Back