• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"She's a BOY?!" (A Spay Story) *Updated with questions*

Milky&Honey

Warren Scout
So, this morning Milky and Honey went to the vets for their "spays". and when the nurse was checking them, she sexed them and we found that Milky was actually a little boy! I was in disbelief as first of all, the person we got them from (an owner of rabbits for 20 years) told us he was a she. The first vet we went to also confirmed this, I even saw as he pulled back their bits to check, and Milky's bit looked similar to Honey's. Although this was when they were around 2 months old, so perhaps that is why there was some confusion. They were put together until the age of about 4 months before Milky began to *attempt* to get ehm...fruity with Honey and there was a lot of chasing. The weird thing is that anyone who saw him always commented that he was "boy-like" xD I was extremely lucky that we didn't end up with a basket full of bunnies or else I would be PRETTY broke right now getting them all neutered and vaccinated! I know that this could have turned out to be a bit of a disastrous situation, and I understand that it is a pretty serious mistake, but if something had happened and Honey got pregnant and got hurt giving birth or something, I would never forgive myself. Props to a few people here who warned me that this may happen!

Anyway, so fast forward. We've just come back from the vets about an hour ago. Apparently it went extremely well and they ate a bit whilst they were there. Honey surprisingly was more active than Milky despite her surgery being more invasive! However, they both look pretty comfy now and I've left some foods out for them to eat when they feel like it :D At the vets they were put together in the same cage when I went to get them and they were both flopped out right next to each other and Milky was grooming Honey, n'awwww. I know this was probably because they were still high off the anaesthetic, and probably doesn't mean anything, but it was so adorable to see! :love:

Last edited:
Oh goodness! You are very lucky :lol: Could have woken up to a bunch of baby bunnies. Glad it all went well :thumb: Hope they recover nicely

Thank you!

Just a little update on their recovery, if anyone is interested :p

Both buns began eating almost straight after we brought them back from le vets- how silly of me to think that something as small as a MAJOR operation would curb my pair's appetites(!) They've been munching on six different brands of hay; Excel's timothy hay with the dandelion and marigold bits, Burns' Green Oat Hay, Readigrass, Orchard hay, H4P's Timothy & Rye and Milky has also had a nibble at those meadow hay cookie thingies :D Honey has eaten some carrot and mint whilst Milky has only had a go at carrot and complete rejected the mint xP...umm, they've both drunken some water, both had a few raisins and Honey also managed a few SS pellets! In regards to poop, Honey was doing these weird dark mis-formed poops as well as uneaten cecals but now she's produced quite a few normal pellets. Milky's ones have mostly been normal in appearance but REALLY small but he has also done a few normal sized ones.

However, I'm having a hard time of getting their pain relief meds into them :( once I saw that they had both eaten quite a lot of the carrot I put out for them, I tried to put some metacam all over the carrots for them to eat it that way since the nurse (and the bottle) told me that it must be given with food or else there's a risk of stomach ulcers. The buns haven't attempted the carrot after I slurred the metacam on it :( Quite worried as their initial pain relief injection must have worn off by now!

Also, I had a question; the vets also gave me some zantac to take home- do I need to wait a specific time after them getting the metacam before I feed the zantac? Or can both be given at the same time?

Please send some recovery vibes this way!

I find putting the Metacam on a tiny bit of bread works. It soaks it up well and the buns can't resist it! :) If both buns are eating and pooping normally I'm not sure I'd give Zantac, but I have been told by vets in the past that it's OK to give it at the same time as Metacam. Sending recovery vibes xx

My understanding is that most vets give buns pain relief which *should* last for around 24 hours and unless they are showing signs of discomfort i.e. not moving/eating then additional pain relief isn't always necessary :wave:

Re. the zantac, great that you now have some in stock but there's no reason to administer this unless you feel they need it.

If they are both eating, poo-ing and moving around ok, I'd leave them be!

Last edited:
I've been syringing Metacam into one of my bunnies twice a day for about 3 weeks. He now hates me! I know (think) that he wouldn't touch it on food but perhaps it's worth giving it a go.

Ahh, thanks for the great advice/tips everyone! It turned out that they ate the carrot in the end though, but I shall definitely try out those techniques (bread, parsley etc) for next time to make them eat it quicker!

Regarding the zantac, we've just given them one dose each so far but as they seem to be doing well, I won't give them anymore if they don't need it :)

Haha, Babsie, my pair hate me already for bringing them to the vets to begin with! Them hating me over this is nothing xP I just keep telling them it's for their own good. It's a pity they don't understand that :lol:

--

Just another little update, they're both doing ever so well! I'm sooooo proud of them! Such strong buns <3 They've both gone back to their ehm, naughty ways though. Honey is currently having a brawl with her vet bed and Milky is shredding up the newspaper in his litter tray. :roll:

Back