• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating pet rabbits???

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
Just watched animal rescue (rspca in australia) and a man had loads of rabbits crammed in disgusting, squalid conditions. He then admitted to eating them!!!! How can you eat your pets?

If he was keeping them in those sorts of conditions and eating them they weren't really pets. He clearly didn't care about them :(

If I had the space I would keep, breed and eat my own rabbits though. I like to know where my food's come from and what better way to make sure it's been treated well.

He said he loved them and couldn't live without rabbits. 41 were taken away and all the older ones had to be pts :(

He must have only been breeding them for meat. I have nothing against eating meat but if you are going to farm an animal for food at least give it some respect and care!

vaccinated rabbits can't be eaten so mine aren't up for the pot. i've only eaten rabbit once - and i didn't have any pets at the time - it's a strong and unpleasant flavour. but i suppose if you're very hungry...

I'm a vegetarian but I don't agree with people at all who think it's fine to eat chicken, pig but not cat/dog/rabbit. Your pets may be loyal, you may have a relationship with them but that doesn't make common 'meat' animals stupid and incapable of suffering. My dad has chickens and they're brilliant pets, so friendly, I'd have a chicken over a cat or dog anyway but people just see chickens as meat animals. And this man may be overusing the term pet, he owns the animals but I doubt he has a strong bond with them all. I think raising your own animals to eat is incredibly responsible (although not in his case if they're in bad conditions, but they're probably kept better than a lot of meat animals) and if I liked the taste of meat I'd probably do it myself, a lot of people have no idea where there meat comes from, and for all they know they could be supporting battery farming and other cruel practices.

Back