• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two different vets?

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
My current vet is amazing. She's very knowledgable on rabbits, I trust her judgement and will not let my animals see anyone else. The problem is her surgery does not have emergency out of hours services. If it's the weekend or after 7pm you are sent to the 'sister' practice. The problem is this pratice has a different vet every week and is not really bothered about rabbits ( my work uses it as our emergency contact and I never hear good things so it's not just me who thinks this :oops:). When Dennis fell ill we had to take him here and despite my pleads for them to contact my vet instead of the vet on call they said no. We were told 'oh he doesn't look that ill' when we got there even though he'd collapsed ( obviously resented being called out over a rabbit) and kept going on about the price. My husband said just do what you have to. The meds they suggested were ok but the next day when I called to see how he was they told me he was evil and attacking them. Now he was stroppy but never that bad. They said come and pick him up, he's bright, eating and drinking. As soon as we picked him up my husband just looked at me and said ' he's no different.' He looked stoned. We got him home and he didn't eat or drink and died shortly after. There is no way that rabbit should have left the intensive care. My husband was fumeing and now refuses to take any of our animals there. I must admit I would be scared to. The only option we have really, is to go to a completely different vet if an emergency should arise? :cry: Any suggestions?
I've jokingly asked my wonderful rabbit vet Fiona for her home number but she was having non of it :oops::lol:

Anyone else use two vets or have this problem?

It will be an added stress if any bun falls ill now... :cry:

Last edited:
The vets we use has a sister practice in town and although the vets go between and they're all great, the way they are kept in the other one is horrible. When Leo had his dental he had to go to the tamworth one and when my bf picked him up he had wee soaking the bottom of the carrier.. Not his wee either so I don't know if they have dogs roaming around the back.. I don't get it because the atherstone practice is fab and I have seen where they are kept and it's lovely. He went mental and we refuse to take any of the rabbits to that one now, the receptionists there are not very nice either, they act like they can't be bothered.

I will let my vet know about it and the reasons we will be going elsewhere in emergencies :thumb:

Back