• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

trapped nerve - acupuncture?

elaine84

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:
has anyone ever had a rabbit with a trapped nerve? (or even yourself?!) My Lily has got spondylosis (recently diagnosed) and it seems to be pinching a nerve and causing her back legs to be a bit wobbly (it makes them numb apparently). She falls if she moves too suddenly.
Is this permanent now or can the feeling come and go?
Has anyone had the same problem?
Can acupuncture help bring feeling back into the pinched nerve?

Any similar experiences or thoughts are very welcome. Thank you x

Flora is 9 and suffers from an arthritic spine. It gives her a very wobbly gait and she almost scoots her back legs underneath her body rather than doing a proper 'hop'. She has acupuncture every 3 months and I really feel that it helps. There is a noticeable improvement in her desire to move around as normal in the first month, which gradually wears off in months 2-3.

Personally, I'd give acupuncture a go - there's really nothing to lose. I have to go to a different vet for acupuncture as my bunny vet doesn't do it but he's aware of the situation.

ETA - initial consultation was £55 and each 20 minute session is £45 thereafter.

Last edited:
Thanks for your message :) I've enquired at a couple of vets as my vet doesn't offer it either, though I have spoken to him about it. One vet will come to my house to do it and it's £25 per session (didn't mention an initial consultation price) and the other vet I'd have to travel about 20 mins to and it's £53 consultation then £25 per session. Not sure who to choose yet but I like the thought of the one that would come here, saving Lily the stress of the journey.
Not sure if it would just work for pain or for bringing feeling back into trapped nerves too?
Her leg has started to twitch sometimes which is another symptom of a pinched nerve, does that happen to Flora?

Flora is 9 and suffers from an arthritic spine. It gives her a very wobbly gait and she almost scoots her back legs underneath her body rather than doing a proper 'hop'. She has acunpuncture every 3 months and I really feel that it helps. There is a noticeable improvement in her desire to move around as normal in the first month, which gradually wears off in months 2-3.

Personally, I'd give acupuncture a go - there's really nothing to lose. I have to go to a different vet for acupuncture as my bunny vet doesn't do it but he's aware of the situation.

ETA - initial consultation was £55 and each 20 minute session is £45 thereafter.

Thanks for your message :) I've enquired at a couple of vets as my vet doesn't offer it either, though I have spoken to him about it. One vet will come to my house to do it and it's £25 per session (didn't mention an initial consultation price) and the other vet I'd have to travel about 20 mins to and it's £53 consultation then £25 per session. Not sure who to choose yet but I like the thought of the one that would come here, saving Lily the stress of the journey.
Not sure if it would just work for pain or for bringing feeling back into trapped nerves too?
Her leg has started to twitch sometimes which is another symptom of a pinched nerve, does that happen to Flora?

Have to say that I've never noticed her legs twitching. There's definitely lots of twitching when the acupuncture needles go into certain places but I guess that's just part of the treatment.

I would give acupuncture a go as it has helped other bunnies so nothing to lose. The vet willing to come to you sounds perfect as then Lily will be more relaxed at home.

I tried it with my Darcy, who as you know has spondylosis in his spine and osteo-arthritis in his hips. He hated it. Literally flew off the table and was only just caught in time. The very experience bunny vet said not to try him with it again after that reaction. Its not for everyone. If you can, I would ask the vet to do it on the floor if possible just for that reason.

I have no experience with trapped nerves but hopefully someone on here will be along soon who can help.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to try the lady who comes to the house so will book her in asap.
I've found similar threads on this forum where people's rabbits have had a trapped nerve and it caused them to have weakness in their legs, but the threads don't say the outcome so I don't know if they found anything that helped?!

Back