• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

English Lops

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If you choose to breed these Rabbits with ridiculously elongated ears you are perpetuating suffering

I make no apologies for this statement

Totally agree.
Even my frenchie's ears are so long that the tips of them get all cold and wet when the ground is wet. Every time I see that happen I think of how horrible it must be for english lops to be dragging those ears around with them. :(

Im still not sure why people breed any animals where the "type" is clearly detrimental to health. Bunnies are beautiful no matter what so why have ears so long they drag on the ground, why breed dogs with such shortened noses that they cant breathe properly. Seems a bit daft to me but then maybe those people are blind to the natural beauty of animals.

It is an awful thing to do, poor bunnies. Can I ask what it is about the long ears that causes such horrendous problems?

It is an awful thing to do, poor bunnies. Can I ask what it is about the long ears that causes such horrendous problems?

All lops are more prone to ear infections due to the 'design' of their lopped ears. But English Lops ears are so long that not only do they have a huge risk of chronic otitis but also of injuries to the ears from treading on them or catching them on a toe nail etc :cry:

Why would anyone think breeding a Rabbit like this was a good idea

conejoenglishlop.jpg

EnglishLopDoe.jpg

:cry:

Its such a shame about the ears as they have the most wonderful temperament and personality. Our Evie was a beautiful soul :love:

High chance of ear infections and getting dragged along all day and stood on :( breeders who choose looks over the health and well being

I agree they are a beautiful breed with a fascinating history but the ears do bug me, i waited 3 years for one as a pet once because i specifically wanted one who's ears were under 21" so they didn't touch the floor, i would really love to see breeder concentrate more on health in this breed and reduce ear size while preserving the other features of the breed... they are the ONLY lop breed without a flat face

I agree they are a beautiful breed with a fascinating history but the ears do bug me, i waited 3 years for one as a pet once because i specifically wanted one who's ears were under 21" so they didn't touch the floor, i would really love to see breeder concentrate more on health in this breed and reduce ear size while preserving the other features of the breed... they are the ONLY lop breed without a flat face

I must admit I love their actual face shape, more lops could do with faces that shape instead of looking as though they have run full speed into a brick wall :(

we have had 3 here over the years and only evie had the traditional long ears that caused her no end of trouble along with all her other problems :( The other 2 had much shorter ears that didn't appear to cause them any issues and I doubt they were any longer than a frenchies ears :?

I do feel sorry for them, it must be awful having your ears drag along the floor, not to mention the healthy problems. Even Leo's ear tips can get in a bit of a mess if he eats anything sticky or if it's been raining and he's only a dwarf lop!

I cant imagine what it must be like dragging those huge, heavy sensitive lumps of skin and gristle around. :(
It must feel awful . And they look awful.
Poor bunnies, but if they have always known life like that I hope they are not suffering as much as I think they would.:?:(

Looking at those photos again, are these bunnies are able to binkie with such a weight dragging on their head or is that a very silly question? :?

Back