• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom pregnancy today...now acting subdued

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Frankie has been nesting today, and since completing her nest and then abandoning it she has been acting a bit down in the dumps. She's eating, pooping etc, and completely acting her normal self when playing out, but generally just a bit mopey when in her hutch not doing anything and won't sit in her normal resting corner where she has put the nest, and flopping in a bit she normally wouldn't. I even saw her almost DBF'ing once, she never rests like this but had been dashing about nest building before hand. Is this normal when she thinks she's having babies but then doesn't?? I've had so many females in the past but can't remember!

She is not spayed yet as when she was the correct age and her sisters were done, she was not in optimal health. She is fine to now and the vet is happy to spay her but now I have reservations as she is now pretty much unhandleable. I worry how the staff will pick her up as she is a real wriggler, and how they will check her wounds after. I think we will have to get her sedated just to have her claws done as she isn't even scared enough at the vets to let me hold her anymore (unlike her sisters who cling to me for comfort!) I plan on speaking to the vet about this when we go for vaccinations to see how they would handle her. Bunny burritos won't even work as she fights her way out of anything and is such a delicate little bun it's hard to hold onto her.

:?

I'd definately speak to your vet about spaying now she's in good health. Certainly it could help calm her down if she is so unhandleable. Also if phantom pregnancies are causing her so much upset it would prevent her having probs with them in future.

Back