• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions for Rescues and rescue associates

whitehood

Warren Veteran
How long since you've joined or started a rabbit rescue ?

What are the negative things you face ? Positive things ?

Where do your rescues stay ? Your home/fosterers for example.

What setups do they live in ?
If in hutches do they get 24 hour access to a run etc.

What other animals do you re home ?

Why did you become a rescue ?

What's your ultimate dream regarding your rescue ?

:wave:

9yrs

negatives ...idiots , stress , dealing with the trauma of losing bunnies due to prvious owners neglect etc :(
positives ...making a difference to the lives of the ones you help .

mostly mine and sisters homes ...a few with fosterers

hutches . mainly 5 and 6 ft with a couple of 4ft emergency/hospital hutches.
seperate runs but daily access for min of 2 hrs often much longer .

we also rehome hamsters , degu, guineapigs . the charity also rehomes dogs and cats but we dont have anything to do with these .

why ...hmmm ...because I felt the need to help

Ultimate dream ...to be able to have the money and resourses to pack in work , do this full time and help more animals .

6+ yrs

What are the negative things you face ?

Being asked to take approx 20 rabbits a week that we don't have room for:(
Working constantly and not getting paid.

Positive things ?

Being surrounded by happy creatures.

Most of them are here, a few are in foster care with a few of our volunteers.

All rabbits have a minimum of a 6ft by 2ft hutch with an average of an 8ft square run attached to which they have access all day at least. A few have 24hr access where the runs have secure tops and are based on slabs.

We don't rehome. but we also have guinea pigs.

Because there are so many rabbits needing help.

To get paid.

just over 4 years publicly but many years before that privately

What are the negative things you face ? Positive things ?

Having to pick up other people's vet bills because they can't be bothered to get their rabbit treated, or caring owners giving you their rabbits because they think you can work miracles and fix them which we can't. Not sure which is worse :cry:

Being able to give a bunny its first taste of freedom/ its first companion/ making them pain free and being loved back by each one in their own way :love:

In our home and garden. No fosters or volunteers just me and Steve

Ours either live free range 24/7 inside our home or in large custom built indoor cages with around 6 to 8 hours free range time in the house each. Our outside buns mainly have hutches/sheds/playhouses with attached runs or aviaries with 24 hour access. A few outside buns live in hutches in the big shed but all get many hours daily in our large garden runs

None. we don't rehome rabbits as we are a Retirement Home and it is their forever home

When we first got rabbits I did a lot of research to make sure I was keeping them properly and discovered how neglected so many of them are. As we have no children we ended up taking rescue rabbits that couldn't be rehomed to "normal" families. I always had a dream of opening a retirement home for rabbits but thought it was a silly idea until we got the internet and discovered Ebony Eyes :D If we do our job half as well as Jay and john did then i will be happy as i have always looked up to them and what they acheived :)

besides winning the lottery and being able to have a huge garden full of huge chalet dog kennels for each set of bunnies, getting heating put into all the bunny sheds/playhouses so they can be warm all year round :D

Back