• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent re bereavement, please

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Hi,

Can anyone say what I should do with D'Argo tonight? His mum had to be put to sleep earlier and at the moment, I have put her body outside in the hutch, but he has had a few sniffs and left her. He is now inside and I think he is looking for her.

He usually sleeps in the hutch outside.

Should I take Chianna's body out of the hutch and put him to bed or should he sleep indoors tonight?

I don't know what to do for the best. I read on this website you should leave the body for several hours so the surviving bun can say goodbye so to speak but I'm going to bed soon as I'm shattered and I don't know what to do for the best.

Any ideas please?

Hi well one of my bonded pair passed away last week and his wifey stopped eating the day after but I had brought her inside so I could keep her company I took her to the vets and she had meds etc she started eating again but I still have her inside running round the house 

I'm really worried about him. I have to go to work tomorrow and won't be back until 2.30 and then I have to be at work all Friday.

I am tempted to let him stay in the night but he is a chewer...and is it any better for him to be inside in the kitchen or in his familiar house? Not sure what to do.

I'm not sure my bunny don't chew she's in my bedroom at night free range all I can hear all night is munching hay then my hubby watches her till I get home from work at 2:30 just make sure ya bunny keeps eating n drinking 

Thanks Wendle.

I think I'll have another go at litter training him now he is on his own and see if we can bring him inside. He's just lying down in the middle of the lounge floor at the moment.

I am going to move Chi's body out of the hutch and let him in there for the night because it is cosy and familiar (and he can't electrocute himself by chewing any wires!)

I really appreciate your help and sympathy tonight, will let you know how we get on x.

Ok Mattie sorry I can't be of more help I hope he eats an gets well bless him let me no how he goes on please 

Thanks. I just put him out there and he has started to eat some carrot tops. I will go and give him lots of cuddles in the morning and he can come and play inside when I get back from work.

Fingers crossed.

Hi, in my opinion, I would take the body out of the hutch and substitute if possible with something snuggly to cuddle to. Something to give him comfort.

In the past, my bereaved bunnies have seen the departed bunny for about 5 minutes and then when they have said their goodbyes, remove the dead bunny.

I'm so sorry about your loss.

Keep a close eye of D'argo as he may well display signs of depression. Unusual behaviour, reduced appetite and general lethargy may well follow in the days to come.

Ideally lots of extra tlc will be most welcome. I'm certain of that.

Once again I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Take good care of yourselves. x

Last edited:
I'm sorry Mattie, I dont know what to say. I lost a bun suddenly a couple of weeks ago and it broke my heart. She died at the vets and her partner bun was at the vets too, so we let Kenco out in the room with her, but he didnt really seem to know what to do, he just hopped about as normal, but eventually sniffed her and then laid down in his carrier looking sad. He had about half an hour, maybe more with her, but he didnt really spend a long time with her. We thought he seemed a bit indifferent but our vet just said that they all grieve in different ways, as do us humans I suppose, and its even possible that he had sensed she was ill and come to terms with it before she went. The days after though he appeared very sad, and wanted a lot of human company and attention. So you may find your bunny will want more attention from you. Keep an eye out that he is eating ok as they do grieve as they realise their companion isnt there at the food bowl with them. Make sure he keeps warm as well because he won't have his little friend to snuggle to.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Its so hard when they go.

Thanks. I just put him out there and he has started to eat some carrot tops. I will go and give him lots of cuddles in the morning and he can come and play inside when I get back from work.

Fingers crossed.

It's good that he is eating.

Just keep a close eye on him. x

Thanks. D was pleased to see us this morning. kids gave him hugs and fed him. he averting when i left. I will go let him in after work so he is not lonely.

how soon should i look for a bunny friend? feel i am betraying chiana but i know he will need bunny friend even though i am starting to work from home next week. but i saw a lovely French lop girl who may be suitable play mate. i can't believe thinking bout it already. still crying over my beautiful girl.

Thanks. D was pleased to see us this morning. kids gave him hugs and fed him. he averting when i left. I will go let him in after work so he is not lonely.

how soon should i look for a bunny friend? feel i am betraying chiana but i know he will need bunny friend even though i am starting to work from home next week. but i saw a lovely French lop girl who may be suitable play mate. i can't believe thinking bout it already. still crying over my beautiful girl.

You're not betraying Chiana at all nor trying to replace her - but thinking of what is best for your other bunny. Would the rescue help with the bonding or do you feel confident in doing it yourself?

Apparently our local rspca will help. that is a relief as i would be worried.

d'argo was searching for his mum again but is eating and drinking. he played in front garden with guinea pig earlier and playing ok. my neighbour is coming in tomorrow while i am at work to give him a big cuddle but he seems to be coping really well so far.

will be keeping a close eye.

Mattie firstly I am so sorry your lost your beautiful girl, it is completely heartbreaking when they leave us!

I would say be guilded by him in terms of when to get a friend for him, if he is eating, drinking and pooping and seems in good spirits then I wouldnt say you need to right away just make sure you and your family give him extra fuss!

Back