• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They hate there dog crate

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi all
I have just bought a 36 in dog crate for mine, they are free range 24/7 so its only a base, there previous cage was a 140 ferplast cage with a stool at the side so they could jump out then from the stool to the settee as the cage was on a stand but now theyve got the dog crate on the floor which i think is better as a couple of times Maisey has moved the stool and Alan has fell :evil: but they spent the night on the settee not going in the new cage then i noticed Alan my nethie hasnt moved all night pooing and weeing on the settee:evil: all the things in the new cage are there previous things eg carpet bowl litter tray has anyone else had this problem? i do hope they get back to normal sooooon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It may smell funny. Maybe a wash with some dilute vinegar to get rid of any previous smells would help.

It may smell funny. Maybe a wash with some dilute vinegar to get rid of any previous smells would help.

I second this!

Also, try covering the top and a side with a blanket and pegging it down. They may feel too exposed to feel comfortable there to begin with. Once they're happy with it you could always remove the blankets. I know my buns never flopped in their crate as much as they did in their rubbish small indoor bunny cage, I figure it was to do with the higher sides making them feel more secure. Maybe try putting wood or cardboard etc round the sides a good 10cm high, see if that helps?

And I second yaretzi. :lol:

Mine had a blanket over their dog crate so that is almost toally covered their second level and they loved to sleep there as it was cosy and filled in. I removed the crate as it took up too much room and now they enjoy sleeping under my bed. If you think about it, in the wild they'd sleep in burrows so something a bit filled in makes them feel safe.

Sam (bluesmum) came over and put up a dog crate for me with their pen fitted around it to make more room for Berry, Cherry and Apple and they absolutely love their crate. I thought they may want a cover over it but they don't seem to need one.

George and Gemma have a cover over theirs and they definitely prefer that.

Hopefully your buns will get used to the crate.

Back