• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vegetarianism

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
Do you ever consider becoming or are you a vegetarian as a result of rabbit ownership?

My rabbits have taught me such a respect for living creatures I am now not sure I am happy caring and loving one animal and killing another for my taste buds alone.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

Thanks

A lot of us on here are veggie/vegan :)

I went veggie at 12 years old, long before I got bunnies!

Same as those above, I became veggie at about 11/12 but my choice of pet was influenced by my own diet/belief system. I didn't feel comfortable getting a cat or dog because of what I would need to feed it on.

I would have got bunnies decades earlier if I had known just how wonderful they are :love::love:

Do you ever consider becoming or are you a vegetarian as a result of rabbit ownership?

My rabbits have taught me such a respect for living creatures I am now not sure I am happy caring and loving one animal and killing another for my taste buds alone.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

Thanks

This is exactly what has happened to me! I have always thought about being vegetarian but not really seriously thought about, but since having bunnies they have really changed my life and the way I see and feel about things. I'd always had cats but wasnt affected in the same way, probably because they are not prey animals etc It's hard to explain why, but something definitely changed when the buns arrived. I've been Veggie since Jan 2011 and there will be no going back!

I have tried to go full veggie 2 or 3 times now to try and be more healthy and eat more veg and stuff :lol: I am finding it very difficult living with a boyfriend that is the biggest meat eater I have ever met :roll: But I will still try

No. I tried vegetarianism for about 18 months more than 20 years ago and never felt fit and well on it. In fact I seemed to ricochet from one bug or virus to another from the day I started to the day I gave up on it.

We don't eat a lot of meat, but what we do eat is traditionally and extensively farmed, and organic where possible.

We currently get a monthly box from these people:

http://www.fieldandflower.co.uk/

But have also bought meat from these people on a regular basis for quite a few years:

http://happymeats.co.uk/

And from the farm shop attached to Ragley Hall:

http://www.ragleyestatemeats.com/

Most weeks we eat meat on 3 days, fish on 2 and have a couple of meat-free days as well. However, rabbit, hare and horse are definitely off the menu.

I became veggie at 15 after realizing that animals killed for meat aren't free ranged and killed humanely. I had always thought cows, pigs etc had free range of large pastures. I guess they did a long time ago but increase in demand caused factory farms to be made.

I stopped eating meat a Feb 2011 because of the way the bunnies changed how I think. Haven't managed to give up fish yet though...

I've been wanting to become veggie for a few years now, even before I got the bunnies :) Might try it for real when I move out :)

Not me, in fact I still eat rabbit which surprises a lot of people. I probably only have meat/fish 2 or 3 times a week and always buy free range (or the best welfare) unless I'm eating out.
Having pets hasn't changed my view of animals or eating meat at all.:oops:

Not me, in fact I still eat rabbit which surprises a lot of people. I probably only have meat/fish 2 or 3 times a week and always buy free range (or the best welfare) unless I'm eating out.
Having pets hasn't changed my view of animals or eating meat at all.:oops:

Same, except rabbit, as i just couldn't.

The bolded bit is what im like.

Yes after having our buns, I have reverted to vegetarianism (I was in my teens) and in the last 18 months went vegan. My OH also has gone vegetarian because of the rabbits.

I have been a veggie since I was about 14/15 ish.

But my OH is a bit meat eater. He's a proper 'man' won't eat it if no meat etc. BUT he has started to understand why I only buy free range eggs and have recently converted to cruelty free household products. He now buys the free range eggs if he buys them which is a really big deal! For him, I thought he wouldn't understand it all.

He loves our rabbits so much though, and is always horrified if I show him any news article about cruelty etc. So one day... maybe!!

I was veggie before I got bunnies for 5 years, recently started eating meat and fish again though.

I read that wrong the first time. ie you're not a vegetarian now, probably because you eat your rabbits :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

And i went veggie at 13 long before rabbits, it was after learning more about animals and slaughterhouses it disgusts me.
I also hate when meateaters make fun of you and say 'oh better not eat a burger with you' im like a dont care, i may not agree but go ahead.

Back