• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another bun in stasis *he's gone - page 88*

luvabun

Warren Veteran
..I mean another RU bun not another one of mine :oops:

This time it's Bugsy. Celebrated his 8th birthday 4 days ago and is usually a robust bunny (he's bonded to two that have chronic abscesses and I'm always amazed that he hasn't caught their lurgies before)

Anyway - I got home from work yesterday lunchtime, let the buns out and fed them. Bugsy went and hid behind a plant pot. Normally they're all straight to the food and he runs around. I knew something was wrong. So I picked him up, checked his butt (clean) gave him a cuddle and when I put him down again, he went and hid. So not like him and he looked hunched and his eyes looked sad. There were squashed "bunny cow pats" in the hutch but I assumed they're from Totti due to the hardcore meds he's currently on (yes, he's on pro-texin as well).

Took Bugsy straight to the Vets and he now had mucus covered sloppy, foul smelling poo appearing so possibly the bunny cow pats were his. Diagnosis was that he was gassy as well as early stasis (but not bloat) so was given pain relief, gut stimulant, anti-gas, and sub cut fluids. Oh and critical care.

Gave him more meds before I went to bed and he was still very lethargic. I must resist the urge to go and check now (at 1/2 past 3).

So many buns getting stasis at the mo.

Last edited:
:( Checked Bugs just now and he's sat in what looks like a huge pile of diarrhea and liquid poo. That stinks to high heaven. No more meds and I'll be speaking to the Vet when they open at 8.

Poor Bugsy, vibes please. This is so unlike him:cry:

Sending loads of vibes that Bugsy gets better and gets the treatment he so clearly needs.

Sounds like a mucoid enteritis :cry:

Are any of his partners on an injectable Penicillin ? If so he could not have groomed the injection site on them soon after the injection was given, thus ingesting some of the abx ?

Millions of vibes for him xx

Sounds like a mucoid enteritis :cry:

Are any of his partners on an injectable Penicillin ? If so he could not have groomed the injection site on them soon after the injection was given, thus ingesting some of the abx ?

Millions of vibes for him xx

Spot on Jane. Bugsy has been kept in for observation and treatment. The Vet asked if it was possible that Bugs had had access to any of the other medication and I said no as the injections are being done in the house. On the way home, I remembered that Tottis fur was slightly off white and clumped at the injection site yesterday and it is possible Bugsy has licked it (he loved his best bud Totts so much). So I've just phoned that info through to the Vets.

Tons of vibes needed please xx

Sending loads of vibes that Bugsy gets better and gets the treatment he so clearly needs.

Thanks for the vibes Graham. I'm beating myself up here for not separating Bugsy from them when Totti and Kiki started their injectable penicillin :( . However, one thing I can be comfortable about is the speed in which Bugsy got the treatment he needs. He was at the Vets yesterday within an hour of me getting home from work. At one stage whilst we were sat waiting for the consult, he started nibbling hay and the thought crossed my mind to cancel the appointment as I wondered if I'd been too hasty and would look stupid :oops: but I decided I may a well go through with it as I was already there. So glad I didn't cancel.

Thanks for the vibes Graham. I'm beating myself up here for not separating Bugsy from them when Totti and Kiki started their injectable penicillin :( . However, one thing I can be comfortable about is the speed in which Bugsy got the treatment he needs. He was at the Vets yesterday within an hour of me getting home from work. At one stage whilst we were sat waiting for the consult, he started nibbling hay and the thought crossed my mind to cancel the appointment as I wondered if I'd been too hasty and would look stupid :oops: but I decided I may a well go through with it as I was already there. So glad I didn't cancel.

Don't worry, i had to do depocillin for Ginger for several months, Biscuit once groomed the tiniest piece from her at the injection site that i'd missed, and he had a bit of a GI slowdown, but nothing as serious as Bugsy has.

Continued vibes :)

Sorry to hear Bugsy is poorly, sending vibes and hope he is soon recovered. I've just been to the vets with Star this morning who refused to eat also. I always worry about the buns at this time of year, they just all seem so susceptible to stasis. :(
Hope he feels better soon.

Don't worry, i had to do depocillin for Ginger for several months, Biscuit once groomed the tiniest piece from her at the injection site that i'd missed, and he had a bit of a GI slowdown, but nothing as serious as Bugsy has.

Continued vibes :)
Thanks Graham. When you say you missed a bit at the site, what were you doing? I've not been advised to do anything

Sorry to hear Bugsy is poorly, sending vibes and hope he is soon recovered. I've just been to the vets with Star this morning who refused to eat also. I always worry about the buns at this time of year, they just all seem so susceptible to stasis. :(
Hope he feels better soon.

Thank you and good luck with Star - keep us posted.

Thanks Graham. When you say you missed a bit at the site, what were you doing? I've not been advised to do anything

I always checked the injection site post-jab after that, to ensure nothing was on the surface that either, and give it a quick wipe with water, just to make sure there was nothing.

My vet apologised and said he (at the time) should of told me to do that anyway.

..I mean another RU bun not another one of mine :oops:

This time it's Bugsy. Celebrated his 8th birthday 4 days ago and is usually a robust bunny (he's bonded to two that have chronic abscesses and I'm always amazed that he hasn't caught their lurgies before)

Anyway - I got home from work yesterday lunchtime, let the buns out and fed them. Bugsy went and hid behind a plant pot. Normally they're all straight to the food and he runs around. I knew something was wrong. So I picked him up, checked his butt (clean) gave him a cuddle and when I put him down again, he went and hid. So not like him and he looked hunched and his eyes looked sad. There were squashed "bunny cow pats" in the hutch but I assumed they're from Totti due to the hardcore meds he's currently on (yes, he's on pro-texin as well).

Took Bugsy straight to the Vets and he now had mucus covered sloppy, foul smelling poo appearing so possibly the bunny cow pats were his. Diagnosis was that he was gassy as well as early stasis (but not bloat) so was given pain relief, gut stimulant, anti-gas, and sub cut fluids. Oh and critical care.

Gave him more meds before I went to bed and he was still very lethargic. I must resist the urge to go and check now (at 1/2 past 3).

So many buns getting stasis at the mo.

Was Bugsy out on the grass the last few days?

It may not have been the penicillin at all but instead a Spring grass induced acute dysbiosis.

I wouldn't call his symptoms stasis because that means 'stop' and he had the opposite - more acute bloat and dysbiosis.

Was Bugsy out on the grass the last few days?

It may not have been the penicillin at all but instead a Spring grass induced acute dysbiosis.

I wouldn't call his symptoms stasis because that means 'stop' and he had the opposite - more acute bloat and dysbiosis.
:wave: Hiya, he has been out on the grass but he's out on it year round, even when it's thick with snow.

None of the other buns are displaying these symptoms but should I stop any of them going out on the grass? (they'll hate me :()

:wave: Hiya, he has been out on the grass but he's out on it year round, even when it's thick with snow.

None of the other buns are displaying these symptoms but should I stop any of them going out on the grass? (they'll hate me :()

I think ingestion of Depocillin is more likely given the sequence of events you have described :cry: So personally I would not keep the other two confined.

With Depocillin it does tend to pool under the skin when injected. So unless it is dispersed by massaging the injection site for a few minutes after administering it the Depocillin can leak back out of the puncture hole in the skin. This is especially an issue if another Bun grooms the site soon after an injection is given. I tend to keep the Bun on treatment separate from their companion for about half an hour after giving a Depocillin injection aswell as massaging the injection site to disperse the Depocillin.

I really hope Bugsy can pull through. Is the Vet administering a toxin binder- eg cholestyramine (Questran) and maybe Metronidazole ?

:wave: Hi Jane, Totts is on amoxycillin not Depocillin. I'm not sure if that has the same properties regarding possible leakage but I'm thinking of separating Bugsy from his pals whilst their injections continue.

Bugsy is responding well to treatment (but not totally out of the woods) and I can pick him up at 3.30 and continue nursing him at home.

p.s. Jane - just re-read your tip - thanks so much, so if I do that then I won't have to keep him separte from his best buds

:wave: Hi Jane, Totts is on amoxycillin not Depocillin. I'm not sure if that has the same properties regarding possible leakage but I'm thinking of separating Bugsy from his pals whilst their injections continue.

Bugsy is responding well to treatment (but not totally out of the woods) and I can pick him up at 3.30 and continue nursing him at home.

Amoxycillin carries the same risks unfortunately.

I hope Bugsy continues to respond to treatment.

No, I wouldn't stop them going out on the grass at all. They are out all year around and are so far fine. It's not a certainty just a risk that's all. I don't think it is possible to say it is one thing or the other really that caused it. I do agree that the depocillin is the likely culprit but I wouldn't rule out an acute dysbiosis from Spring grass either - some buns are susceptible and others are not, some have more delicate bacterial flora than others. It is possible both factors have been at play, or one or the other or neither, you will never know. But precautions all around would be sensible.

Back