• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox repellers

TinaE

New Kit
Hi we have just brought our daughter her first bunny which is in a double hutch with a cover on. I also brought a fox repeller but am now concerned the frequency will affect the bunny. Is this safe to use? It does say on the packaging that it emits a burst of ultrasound which is audible to dogs cats and foxes but does not mention rabbits. Any advice? Thanks

Best of luck with replies.

No personal experience myself, but I'm sure someone will come along with some good advice!!:thumb::thumb:

I haven't heard of them bothering bunnies but I have heard that they don't always have much effect on the fox either.

I would examine your hutch carefully, replace any twist type closures with proper bolts or hasp and staples with a padlock (I used these when I had small children to ensure bun wasn't accidentally left unlocked). Look at the wire, is it heavy gauge? Foxes can chew through chicken wire, is it well secured? It may need some extra nails or clips to strengthen its fixing - foxes tend to scratch and push at the wire at an edge or corner to gain entry.

When thinking about foxes remember they are as agile as a cat and as strong as a dog.

We have local foxes. I cover my hutches at night as even the sight of something nasty can be too much for a bunny. I use puppy panels to add an extra line of security fencing around the hutch and aviary.

We have a sensor garden light too, not that this deters the foxes but it tends to wake one of us up and we can more easily see if it's just a cat or something worse.

I will just add that the best deterent I have found is to chase him in my nightie, waving a swing ball bat! Didn't see him for a couple of months after that!

And don't forget most foxes are quite happy to be out and bout in the day now.

I have one, it doesn't bother the bunnies, but it doesn't seem to bother my local Vixen either, she seems to have grown used to it or she may be deaf.

I would follow Dustyrabbits advise on checking locks etc on the hutch and making sure bunnies run has a secure cover/lid as well. I think it's best to always be vigilant that a fox may be about (even if you don't see any) and ensure your bunny is safe and secure at all times. :D

I wouldn't risk it in case it drives the rabbit mad and scares off harmless wildlife (birds, squirrels etc). It'd be better to just make the hutch secure since you cant guarantee it'll work.

Back