• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unsure of the next step re: Twinkie's eye U/D 7 An improvement!

basirascal

Mama Doe
Well after a week of medication for his eye. I would say the improvement is limited. The vet felt certain that all of the 'Tick' has been removed, so now I am fearing that it is a blocked duct or maybe the root of one of his teeth which is causing the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience of a rabbit with a blocked nasolacrimal duct or root problems and may have advice on what we can expect next.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I haven't, but I hope someone comes along soon with some advice for you x

:wave: Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it, that you have taken the time to reply to me :) I thought it might not be a common problem that many had experienced. xx

However, from the lack of replies, I guess no one else has ever come up aginst a blocked Nasolacrimal duct:?

Just have to wait and see what our vet suggests;)

Actually I think root trouble is quite common in rabbits, becuase their teeth grow continually. Sometimes abnormalities can be feeling along the jawline, but I assume your vet has already done this. I know Twinkle has a good diet, which in theory should make root trouble less likely. Still possible, unfortunately.

Actually I think root trouble is quite common in rabbits, becuase their teeth grow continually. Sometimes abnormalities can be feeling along the jawline, but I assume your vet has already done this. I know Twinkle has a good diet, which in theory should make root trouble less likely. Still possible, unfortunately.

:wave:Thanks susie bun. I must admit that this is what I fear the most. If it were just a question of flushing the duct and that was that, it wouldn't be so bad, but I guess I am now wondering if there are root problems, which I have absolutely no experience of:(

We have an appointment at 2.45pm today, so maybe we will have a bit more to go on then, but you're right the vet did re-check his teeth last week and give him a good check over again. Just to think, this all started (I thought) with a 'Tick'

How did Twinkle get on? Did the vet suggests a skull x-ray? This should show clearly if there is root trouble brewing, but it requires GA. Spenser had one done at the same time as his neuter.

How did Twinkle get on? Did the vet suggests a skull x-ray? This should show clearly if there is root trouble brewing, but it requires GA. Spenser had one done at the same time as his neuter.

Hi susie bun:wave:

The vet checked Twinkle's eye again and said it still looked inflamed. She said that if Twinkle would allow it without a GA, she would try and flush the duct through there and then. So off he went (such a good boy) because he let her do it!:D She reported a large amount of nasty debris had flushed through, so the flush was a success. Now we have to continue with the eye ointment for another week and take him back again in 7 days. I am guessing that if the problem re-occurs, then she may have to do the skull x-ray to check his roots, but I am also hopeful that she may have cleared the remains of some sort of infection. For the first time in 2 weeks the fur beneath his eye is dry tonight -so fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Thanks for enquiring again after him:D

That sounds like a very promising update! :D:thumb: Hope his eye behaves itself now and that the debris rather than root trouble has been the cause.

Back