• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns Separated :( - Ear injury -pics included. Vibes needed :( update pg2 - shes home

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone,

Last week (monday) Jessie went to the vets as Domino had bitten her ear (think it was brought on due to house move and was a one off as otherwise completely fine). Anyway she came off the anitbiotics/painkillers last thursday, her ear looked to be healing ok but noticed that there were a couple of nibbles around her ear and it was still looking purple/sore. Suspected this to be Domino and sure enough eventually I caught him doing it. I think he is trying to help but he was grooming so much he appeared to be lifting the fur and making new wounds :( So they have been separated, still next to each other- just a metal grid in between them. I have taken a couple of photos of her ear, its scabbing over....

cam016.jpg

cam017.jpg

So i guess my question is do I keep them separate until she is completely healed? And in everyones experience how quickly should her ear heal - bearing in mind its now been 8 days since the original injury. Her ear is quite hard and is warm to the touch, but she is very perky and seems totally unbothered by it. I gave them supervised play earlier and Domino went straight to her ear and began licking/nibbling - so separated again. Hope someone has some advice, sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasnt sure whether to put in health or not.

Any advice/shared experiences would be much appreciated...

xxxx

Last edited:
I think I posted on your other thread about my Dopeys?

I think you need to keep them separate until it is completely healed, otherwise he is going to make it worse each time they go together, so they will need to be split up for longer and the whole saga will go on for longer too.

That ear looks badly infected to me, which might be why Domino would not leave it alone.

Personally I'd get the Vet to take another look at it.

I think I posted on your other thread about my Dopeys?

I think you need to keep them separate until it is completely healed, otherwise he is going to make it worse each time they go together, so they will need to be split up for longer and the whole saga will go on for longer too.
Thank you yes, I remember now, I will keep them separate until she is all better xxx
That ear looks badly infected to me, which might be why Domino would not leave it alone.

Personally I'd get the Vet to take another look at it.
Oh no really? :( I still have baytril and metacam left, should I get her on those again? How can you tell if its an infection as it looked the same colour when it first happened and since then more nibbles have appeared and the fur has thinned :( xxx

Thank you yes, I remember now, I will keep them separate until she is all better xxx
Oh no really? :( I still have baytril and metacam left, should I get her on those again? How can you tell if its an infection as it looked the same colour when it first happened and since then more nibbles have appeared and the fur has thinned :( xxx

I cant tell for certain from a photo, but it looks to be very inflamed and you say it feels 'hard and warm'

You need to ask the Vet re starting the Baytril + Metacam again, it may be that a different antibiotic is needed now.

I cant tell for certain from a photo, but it looks to be very inflamed and you say it feels 'hard and warm'

You need to ask the Vet re starting the Baytril + Metacam again, it may be that a different antibiotic is needed now.

Ok thanks I will speak to the vet about it. Poor Jessie :( She is eating and eveything ok and seems quite bouncy/happy, that is a good sign right? When it first happened she did look veyr sorry for herself and you could tell she was in pain, but she is different now and doesnt appear to be in pain (although they can hide it well....) xxx

Ok thanks I will speak to the vet about it. Poor Jessie :( She is eating and eveything ok and seems quite bouncy/happy, that is a good sign right? When it first happened she did look veyr sorry for herself and you could tell she was in pain, but she is different now and doesnt appear to be in pain (although they can hide it well....) xxx

As I say, I could be wrong. I am glad she is happy within herself xx

Thanks I do appreciate your advice. Im also glad she seems happy, it worried me so much last week when it happened :( Especially as the next day she also managed to break her claw and she had to have another trip to the vets to have it removed :( will speak to vet asap. xxx

It looks infected to me. When Todd's bonding went wrong, the girlie bun had bitten through his ears several times (one of which went straight through the vein). Once I'd washed all the blood away, his ear was a completely normal colour. It scabbed over and healed really quickly.

I would pop her back to the vets so they can take another look at it.

Vibes needed :(

Jessie is at the vets, they took her in :( The vet started picking at her scab and its worse than she first thought :cry: They have tried to clean it with Jessie awake but called me a couple of hours ago to say they were going to sedate her :cry: Im so worried about her, :cry::cry::cry:

Jessie is at the vets, they took her in :( The vet started picking at her scab and its worse than she first thought :cry: They have tried to clean it with Jessie awake but called me a couple of hours ago to say they were going to sedate her :cry: Im so worried about her, :cry::cry::cry:

Poor girl :cry: I hope that she will soon be home xx

I can go and collect her at 6 tonight, they said to me to be preapred for her ear to look 'different' what that means I dont know :cry: She has come round from her sedation and appears perky they said x Will update later when she is home, im scared for her :(xx

Shes home. The vets have basically taken all the fur off of her ear, and removed the puss, of which there was apparently quite a lot hiding underneath. it looks like a big open wound :( I wont post pics, its pretty awful :cry: The vet said quite a few times to prepare myself, id already done most of my crying in the car before hand so when I saw it I was still shocked but im glad that shes had it done obviously.we have more baytril to give her, but this time a much higher dose, 3ml per day (all at once!) & bio-lapis sachets - once a day. I still have some metacam left too so the vet said to use some of that tomorrow afternoon. Im taking her in again tomorrow at 5 to have her checked and her ear cleaned again, hopefully tho this could then be something we do at home as I have almost used all of my rent on vets fees now :( (def getting insurance this weekend).
she has done a wee and a couple of poops so thats good, but not eating yet. Will keep tempting her with her faves.

xxx

Hope she gets better soon

I don't wanna put a downer on things, But regarding insurance. Some companies *most of them* will not cover for a illness that they already have.. So they may not cover for your bunnys ear only illness that happens "after" the cover start.

This is the main reason i got bunny insurance pretty much the first day i got patches

Hope she gets better soon

I don't wanna put a downer on things, But regarding insurance. Some companies *most of them* will not cover for a illness that they already have.. So they may not cover for your bunnys ear only illness that happens "after" the cover start.

This is the main reason i got bunny insurance pretty much the first day i got patches

Thanks, oh yes i know that im just thinking for the future, if anything like this were to ever happen again it was just take that added stress away of how on earth im going to afford it. I have my buns vaccinated and checked, I had Jessie spayed last year, just didnt expect any more costs so never bothered with insurance. Would have saved myself alot it i had done.

So if i get it then I know it will be alright in the future x

Back