• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration - please help

AwesomeTanya

Young Bun
So I know that this is a bit of a weird question but could someone please tell me what it is supposed to look like when a male rabbit has been castrated. Also are non disolvable stitches always used on boys because all my female rabbits at my vets have had disolvable ones which I think are better as this is less stress for the rabbit?

I got Frank from the RSPCA and he came with a voucher to get him castrated for free but I had to use it at a specific vets and it wasn't my usual vets. My first impressions of this vets were not great and i found out it is not RCVS accredited. i have never had a male rabbit castrated before and I just wanted to make sure that everything looks okay.

Thanks

Different vets have different techniques. Could you post a picture? (what an undignified suggestion of mine :lol:).

I wouldn't read too much into non-accreditation to be honest, I know of at least one accredited practice that I would rather drive straight past with a dying animal rather than go in.

Different vets do the op in different ways, some make a slit down each testicle, others make a Y-shaped incision in the middle and pull all the bits out through there. It's a fairly straightforward and quick op so as long as bunny is eating, pooping and has had pain relief, I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on eating/pooping, any signs of infection (red/inflamed) or bunny having pulled stitches out and opened the wound up. Hope all is ok :)

Castration- please help

They look quite swollen, like i expected them to be empty and flat now and they arent. Is this normal?

Okay, so how long ago was he neutered?

The 'sack' can stay visible for a good few weeks post-neuter, whilst the contents that are left work away.

My little man had a haematoma in one testicle sack, where it filled with blood, but after several weeks, it was fine :wave:

Yes they can look quite swollen for a week or so afterwards as they can sometimes fill with fluid before they start to shrink. Is it looking particularly red or inflamed, have you been asked to go back for a post-op check at any point? Do they seem to be bothering him (e.g. does he keep trying to chew at the wound)?

He was only done 2 days ago. I think I'm being a bit overprotective of him. He is just so sweet I dont want anything to go wrong.

He was only done 2 days ago. I think I'm being a bit overprotective of him. He is just so sweet I dont want anything to go wrong.

It's good that you are keeping such a close eye on him, but on the other hand, try not to over-stress yourself, as he will pick up on that.

If you are at all concerned, as Santa says, go back for his post-op visit early.

I assume he's eating/drinking/pooping/weeing okay?

Back