• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very proud today : )

Little Pixie went to the vets this morning for her first ever total botty shave, I do try and do it myself (usually just take off the worst) but her fur is so thick my clippers just can't cope at the moment. I was so worried about her as she gets so stressed the vet said they may have to sedate her to get the best clip if she shows signs of stressing. Well, I needn't of worried, my little girl stayed really still throughout and she now has a lovely clear bottom that will be much better for her as now I can treat with rearguard : )) she must have felt better as when I put her back in her run she went whizzing around like a mad thing!!! She really is my little sweethart :love:

She does get a messy bum from time to time due to the fact she can't clean herself properly as she is so very tiny and can't reach her bottom very well. She does eat her cecals ok but is funny to watch as she does them as normal then moves over them to eat - bless her, she copes really well :thumb:

Last edited:
I'm so pleased it's done now as I don't have to worry so much about flies (I will keep a close eye on her though every day), the summer is wonderful but flies are a constent worry aren't they.

My friend's rabbit had this done recently. He was taken away from us to another room, so not sure how good he was. He was a bit subdued in the car going home, but back to his usual cheeky self within a couple of hours.

Is your bun a nethie or a mini-lop?

she is a very small mini lop that's so full of mischeif!! She has a very 'downey' coat that gets a bit matted this time every year when she starts to moult but this year it's been very 'fluffy' for her perhaps due to such a cold winter. Although I don't think I was very popular this morning she was eating and being her usual self not long after she was home and stuffing her face as usual :lol: Such a darling :love:

Back