• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with indoor buns

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Do you let them outside for a run when the weathers warm enough?

I let mine have a play on my balconies when the suns out and its warm. Ive just started letting them out again, maybe for half an hour or so each time. But its still abit cooler outside than in so am I wrong to let them out??

I would never want to put them at risk, but Max is out there now binkying to his hearts content, they so love it out there :love:

Summers fine, its usually the same temp outside as it is inside. They have free access to the balconies whenever Im at home and I set them up toys and boxes out there. Its just this time of year Im reluctant about.

I probably wouldn't let mine outside if it's below like 65F degrees but I'm a bit too careful sometimes. Plus, my house is quite warm even in the winter if we don't have the air conditioner running, so I'm afraid too big of a temp change would be too much on them. It really depends on what temperature your buns are used to.

I don't actually bring mine out though because we have hawks that will swoop down right in front of humans to grab prey, so I'd need a fully enclosed run.

I do. Mine were out there yesterday. If it's warm enough for me to sit out there with them with a cardigan on then I think it's warm enough for them to have half an hour to an hour. I actually find it seems to help my two snuffle bunnies. I limit it more because my lops will spend nearly the entire time eating grass and I don't want to upset their tums.

Yes if its warm enough! But I can't at the mo as Daisy is on a hay only diet to cure her caecal dysbiosis and she would mow the lawn!!

My 2 were out for most of the day on Sunday. They were very well behaved and didnt eat too much grass. It was lovely to see them get a bit more of a spring in their step although indy is still like a bull in a china shop.

I do, yes, and have yet to see the delight on Little Miss's face when she gets out there!!

we've started letting bisc and matt out lately, but only for a few mins a day for now. the air has been helping matts nose though, and they have been binkying soooooooooo much :love: i'll increase the time when it gets warmer and for now they don't go on the grass, just the paving.

Not yet, still very cold outside here. Bunnies room is on average ~12 degrees, sometimes colder, sometimes a little warmer, but the thermometer in the back garden often only says 6-8, which for us is too much of a difference.

I haven't risked letting my indoor buns out yet. The weather is quite changeable here - feels warm but the wind can be cold - so I am waiting until it is a bit more settled.

I'm just ordering an outdoor run for Doughnut so the first time outside soon. I have grass and paving so until she gets used to the eating grass and her tummy's OK I will just put her on the paving. It's suppose to be really hot in Kent this weekend so will also set up a sunshade for her.

Poppy lives indoors and goes out all year round :wave: We just vary the time according to temp. She only doesn't go out if it is below freezing and/or pouring with rain.

Mine are allowed out in the garden when the weather is nice but I leave the door open so they can hop back inside if they want too.
At the moment it is too cold here still too let them out :(

I did try once, but Herbie wasn't too keen. But I have been thinking about it recently, might do if the weather is OK at the weekend.

I wouldn't want to risk it with Vince ( he had snuffles when we got him as a baby and he isn't a year old yet) but it's been far too cold to even think about it. Maybe in the summer :thumb:

All our 9 are indoor buns but they have been outside three times this year so far - only for a maximum of half hour at a time and running around rather than sat in a hutch or small run although I'm sure all us RUers have plenty of space for our buns :wave:

I wouldn't leave ours out for too long as it is still quite cold isn't it? Our year round problem however is birds of prey swooping down in the garden or watching them from our roof or nearby trees - I could never leave them unattended despite the fact we have an enclosed garden and even have a large run with a top - I'm afraid that even if the buns saw a prey bird sweep passed them it would cause them to die of fright :censored::censored:

I don't let Julie out anymore since a local rabbit got the horrible warbles (bot fly eggs that they breath in and once hatched they eat through the rabbit to get out). We also have birds of prey that the town released to keep the wild rabbit population down. A horrible thing. We do have a ton of young and baby wildies in the fenced in garden. I run into one every time I go out. They really don't mind me much at all. One just hopped across my feet and another stood up and stared at me before going off a couple of feet away to eat.

It's been quite warm here. Predicted temp of 16 c for tomorrow. If I can sit out there in a cardigan and not feel cold then I think they are ok with their furry coats :) as I say, it seems to help my snuffle bunnies rather than hinder them.

i wish my bun would be willing to venture outside - have tried several times but he just bolts straight back inside, once i shut the door so he couldn't get back in and he just stood by it until i opened it again lol. not sure why he's so against the idea. sometimes he sits in the doorway enjoying the breeze and trying to persuade my husband to be his slave and bring him tasty dandelion leave nibbles, he's perfectly relaxed there but will not go any further :( - i will keep trying though as i think it would be good for him

Smudge isnt put out as such but if the backdoors open and im in the garden and he fancies a binky he will pop out for a bit and then just go back in when hes had enough but i have a little conservatory which is the middle ground so he will sit in there as well .......to be honest Smudge lives like a dog/cat he just does as he pleases! x

Smudge isnt put out as such but if the backdoors open and im in the garden and he fancies a binky he will pop out for a bit and then just go back in when hes had enough but i have a little conservatory which is the middle ground so he will sit in there as well .......to be honest Smudge lives like a dog/cat he just does as he pleases! x

Yeh mine too, I dont put them out as such, just open the doors so they can go out themselves. When I close the doors again Max sometimes sits right by it thumping to get out! :roll::lol:

Im so glad to read that alot of you let your in-buns outside, and very interesting that some of you find it helps your snuffly buns. I see the general consensus is that aslong as youre sensible about what temperature and weather conditions you let them out in its fine.

I have the morning free so am waiting until the sun peeps over the mountains as it always warms up considerably then, then I'll let them out :) Bring on the binkies woo! :love:

Back