• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to house them pre-bond?

rosey_cake

New Kit
Hi,

Ok...I have simba, a neutered male who is 2 years old. His sister cinnabun died in December :( they did live outside, but after she died and as it was getting cold, we brought him inside and he has been free range in our kitchen since, with a large cage.

We decided he would be much happier with a new friend, and we picked up a lovely 9 week old female on Sunday. From everything i've read, it is best to keep them separate and bond after she's spayed? Is this right? I would love to bond them now but dont want to cause problems down the line, if they need to be separated when she's hormonal or anything.

So....if we are to keep them separate, I have two options. Which is best? I really want to do the right thing and not jeopardise the bonding when we can finally do it!

1. Put simba out in the hutch, and put cookie (new girl) in his cage indoors. We would still bring simba in the living room when we're at home so he doesn't miss us (he loves binkying round the room- or would it upset him coming into the house and smelling another bunny?) also we'd feel sad putting him out in the hutch by himself, but maybe he wouldnt mind and thats just us being silly? Also I'm concerned that when we come
To do the bond, we'd want them o spend the first nigh at least in the cage so we can sleep nearby and stop any fighting- would the cage be her territory and not be a good idea? Or could we put her in the hutch and him back in the cage for the week before the bond?

2.buy a second cage for cookie and have then both in the kitchen in separate cages. Is it a good idea for them to be able to smell each othe and get to know each other in this way before the bond? Or will it annoy them?

Sorry for the long question I just want to make sure we do everything right!

Just thought I should add, cookie is currently in a large plastic crate, size wise it's fine but doesn't have a lid and she's in our bedroom so need to make our decision!

Thank you!

2. Buy a second cage for cookie and have them both in cages in the kitchen. Is it good or bad for them to smell and get to know each other in this way before the bond?

It is generally recommended to wait until 6-8 weeks after she is spayed. Some poeple do bond prior to spaying but the only time I did that it went horrificaly wrong when the little girl developed hormones, and it's not something I would do again as a result of that. I knew the risks and thought it might be ok but it very wasn't.

With regards to set up, it's not ideal to put him back outside. I would say to have two cages in the kitchen, if you can. Be aware that if any bunny comes out into the kitchen space to ensure that any holes in the wires are too small for teeth and nails to get through so that neither can do injury to the other. You are likely to need to adjust the accommodation with that in mind.

I don't think it's warm enough at night yet for an indoor bunny to go outside. Can you house one in the kitchen and one elsewhere?

Hi, thanks for the replies, so are you saying the only reason for him not to be outside is the temperature really? Or will it be better for them to live next to each other anyway, in a getting to know each other kind of way? Or is the ideal to have them in separate rooms? Sorry for all the questions!

Back