• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet insurance for rabbits.

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
Thinking about getting insurance for my bunnies and don't know which is the cheapest company and if any of them include vacs?

I was considering this too and do you have to get your bunnies' teeth checked every year and does it include dentals the insurance? Does the check on the teeth whenever they get vaccinated count as a check for their teeth?

Ruthie xxx

Any tooth check can count so long as its recorded by the vet.
Insurance policies do not cover routine expenses such as inoculations or neutering. Teeth are a difficult issue, technically the insurance would pay for a one off dental treatment due to an illness or accident, however, if the rabbit needs regular dentals it becomes a routine expense which they don't cover. Some policies are just excluding dental problems all together now because of the high number of claims. Also they can get out of paying if the problems have been caused by poor diet etc.

This is in much the same way that car insurance doesn't cover the cost of a service or mot.

If you use the search function there are a lot of threads on insurance which should answer all of your questions.

PS some vets have payment schemes for vacs. One near me does the 3 vacs a year, two health checks and two worming treatments for £10 a month. Vets for pets do a package where you get your 3 vacs, a health check and either rear guard or wormer for around £50 (the price seems to vary slightly with the area)

That is interesting what you say about dentals and how sometimes they cover and sometimes they don't. I think things like dentals seem to be the same with them not covering with other animals too. I'm considering getting insurance... I don't know... I'm so undecided because dental's the most likely thing to happen to them...

Ruthie xxx

I had a bonded pair fall out and the vet bills to get them all stitched back together came to over a thousand pounds, no least because they decided to do it on a bank holiday Sunday, it would have cost me £160 just to see the emergency vet before they even did any treatment. They required general anaesthetics to get the stitches done, antibiotics, pain killers, further surgery when they pulled their stitches out, 12 visits to the vet. Petplan covered it all bar the £50 excess, I don't know what I would have done without.

You'll find lots of similar stories on the forums.

If you can afford it, I would get insurance, and then start a savings account, and when you have more than £1500 in savings, that's when you can afford to not have insurance. I worked out my insurance for Jeremy paid out in the year I had him 4 times what I had paid them for premiums.

Back