• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did you get your rabbits to start eating new foods?

clara

New Kit
Hello. This is my first post on here so I'm not too sure if this is the right place to put it. I have basically just returned home, after being abroad for 6 months (due to family circumstances). I left my two rabbits (a Dutch and a Rex cross-I think!). One is male and the other is female, both have been fixed. The male is around 18 months, the female around 2 years, both were in perfect health when I left them (with an elderly aunt). She took care of the exceptionally well, they lived indoors and were clean, fed and seemed happy when I returned. However, they have now taken to eating biscuits and crisps! I believe this is because of grand-children visiting and feeding the buns. I mean, they'd never tasted a biscuit when they were with me, but now they won't eat their dinner until I give in, and it's really annoying me because I know it's no good for them, it's just those bunny eyes that make me give in! (They live outside in their shed again now, and have stopped eating their greens, which they used to love!) They still love pears, bananas, carrots and apple. But that's all they will eat, and I don't know how to get them to start eating new fresh food-I like them to have a varied diet, but now things like spring greens, cabbage kale etc, they wont touch. They do eat their pellets. Do I just stop being so silly and just cut out the biscuits (though I have, I give them half a cracker each a dinner time)? And how did you get your own rabbits to start eating new foods? Thanks for any advice, and I'm sorry its so long I'm just a little upset at both myself and my aunt!)

I'd probably with draw all fresh foods for a couple of weeks/a month and then introduce fresh foods again slowly.

Try adding some fresh herbs in and reduce the amount of fruit they are getting. It sounds like they are quite sweet toothed :lol:

Back