• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC from wild rabbits?

Hello,

Having recently joined the forum after Billy had a 'stroke' (??) from EC, I am amazed and delighted at how much information is on here about the parasite. It is reassuring to know the help is here for all bunny owners, so thank you all.

Anyway - enough rambling!

Billy was the only one of my four bunnies to show symptoms of EC. I am treating all four with a nine day course of Panacur (28 days for Billy). But I am worried; the course will only kill current bugs, not protect them for the future. As I've read on other topics, a vaccination against it, like myxi and VHD, would be brilliant!

So... is there anything that can be done to prevent them catching EC again? I am assuming they can catch it from the wild rabbits which frequent our garden? We have considered fenching off an area so wild rabbits can't urinate on it.

I also assume Panacur 3-4 times a year (or whatever the box recommends) would help.

What precautions do you all take?

Thank you.

Love the bunnies; Max, Honey, Billy and Billy Bob xxx

There is a lot of different thinking on the use of Panacur as a prevention. I Panacured my two for 28 days as a one off when they had been boarding as was the current advise t the time. I understand that is not widely advised now. If you are doing 28 days for treatment then you must observe good hygiene as always but also do a thorough 10% bleach clean on days 8 and 21 (please check those days as I do struggle to remember them!). This breaks the cycle of reinfection.

In general keeping food off the floor, cleaning, litter changes and washing cleaning tools will all help as the spores are spread from the rabbits urine.

How you tackle wild rabbits on the grass I don't know but when I asked my vet a similar question about coccidiosis being carried on the grass she suggested keeping the grass short and advised that sunlight kills a lot of nasties off and not to worry too much.

I guess keeping your rabbit in otherwise good health can only help too.

Back