• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay infection

lauraj27

Warren Scout
We had Snowy spayed on Friday and took her back to the vets today for her post-op check up, tuns out the wound has oozed slightly and become yellow. The vets are concerned that this is an infection and have prescribed septrin and metacam. They have also advised bathing the wound with a weak salt water solution using cotton wool.

I just wondered how common this was, whether anyone else has experienced this and if there is anything else we should be doing to help her. She is bright in herself, eating, drinking, pooping and we have confined her in a small pen whilst she recovers.

To be honest, I'm not especially impressed with how the spay went; when my OH picked her up on Friday he had to wait twenty minutes because it was oozing and they had to clean it up. When I saw it I noticed that she'd been stitched up in a zig zag line rather than a straight one. To make things worse they have charged us for the additional meds even though we have done eveything right since Friday and they clearly hadn't sown the wound sufficiently. They have spayed two of my other females (one only a week ago) but neither of them have had the this problem.

No they have asked to see her again on Friday but obviously we will keeping a close eye on her and will take her back if need be.

I've had a good few rabbits spayed but only one infection and hers was a reaction to the internal stitches. she got a lump inside and had Septrin and Metacam for about 4 weeks and wouldonly eat grass. She was in a right mess. She did recover from it though, she just needed time and good care.

Update

Took snowy back to the vets today, turns out when they finished spaying her they used sultures as well as skin glue and she's basically had a bad reaction to the skin glue. They have cleaned and disinfected the wound and cut awa as much of the skin glue as they dare without opening up a gap in the wound

We have to keep giving her septrin and metacam over the weekend as well as keeping the wound area moist, not easy when she's 3 kilos of muscle and real bad kicker! Anyway she is going back on Monday and depending how it is looking she may have a GA to remove the remainder of the skin glue and be sown up with sultures.

Yet another update

Took her back on Monday and the vet said the wound was looking good and if we opted for a GA it would take the same amount of time to heal as letting it do so naturally, so we decided against it as we didn't wnat to put her through another GA so soon.

She was checked again today by a different vet, who found some tiny amount of white pus in the wound, she used two syringes of saline to flush out the wound. The first time a little bit came out, with the second one nothing came out; hopefully that's a good sign. She has to go back tomorrow to potentially have it flushed out again and if there is a lot they want her to undergo surgery. At the moment there is no abcess thankfully and she is on 1.5ml of septrin twice a day. We've put her on newspaper with a hayrack in the hope that the wound will be kept as clean as possible.

She is getting incredibly frustrated in her confined pen we've set up in the house for her; we've set it as large as we dare but she's climbing the bars and desparately trying to get out and it doesn't help that we are in the middle of moving house. I'm really starting to tear my hair out, I just want her to get better!

Back