• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He had another coughing fit :( Oh God....

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
:cry: A long one too, it lasted for several seconds this time :cry: But once again it was at feeding time when he'd been chasing Bella around. Still, I'm so so worried that his pasteurella is coming back :cry: I wanted him to have a good birthday and seeing him like that completely broke my heart. Why is life so unfair :cry:

No real point in this thread, I just...need some support I guess :cry: I'm so scared and upset :cry:

I'm so sorry your bunny is ill. Pasturella is a nasty disease. I didn't realise they coughed with it too! Do you have anything at home you can give him to help? Sending him tonnes and tonnes of vibes xxxxxxxxxxxx

Big (((((((((hugs)))))))))) to you. xxx

They don't usually cough :( But he does :cry: And sneezes occasionally too. I don't have anything at home, no, he's been healthy for over 2 months :cry: This just appeared out of the blue :cry: Could be due to him being hormonal and chasing his wifey too much because he does have scarring in his lungs (so a bit more sensitive than before) but I'm so scared he'll get worse :cry:

Thanks for the support xxx

If it helps, my boy Giles was rescued from a carpark, along with a terrible case of earmites, head tilt and EC he had pasteurella too. He coughs a lot and he has been here for a good few years now. No other symptoms just a nasty cough which he seems to be left with for life. I know the for life bit wont help how you feel, but what i mean is, it has not caused long term distress, he is a happy boy :D. Hope Boris feel better :love:

Thank you, that does make me feel slightly better. He seems fine otherwise and I don't think it's affecting him at this stage as it doesn't seem to happen other than when he gets stressed out. But I can't help but worry that hes about to have a relapse and get all poorly again :cry:

Since i got Giles back to health it has not bothered him and i used to feel awful when i heard him cough, but now i, well, i dont ignore it, but i dont worry too much either. He usually gets it when he eats too fast or gets new hay.

Thanks, he had another one just now :( I'm not sure whether he was coughing or sneezing, sounded like a combination of both but he only did it about 2 times. And this time it happened when he was yawning :?

It's very worrying :( He's been fine for about 2 months since he finished his last course of antibiotics (which lasted for roughly 1 and a half months) and then the cough suddenly started to come back about a week ago :? It doesn't make any sense at all. He's breathing faster too :( But yes he seems fine in himself, cheeky and active and eats A LOT. I'm not sure what to make of this at all. I guess for now all I can really do is monitor and see if it gets worse, because if it does it's probably a relapse of pasteurella :cry: The biggest problem is my local vets who are useless, I had to really fight for a prolonged course of Septrin. It's really hard to discuss anything with them at all because they think they know best when they don't, in fact they're not rabbit savvy at all, I've learnt more from people on this forum than from calling them for advice :? I'm just not keen on taking him there again and being told that he probably has tumours in his lungs and shouldn't be given more antibiotics because it wouldn't help anyhow.

Poor lad you must be so worried :(

Your vets sound useless. I think its worth seeking out a rabbit savvy vet as Boris may need lots of treatment in the future.

Sending loads of vibes xxx

I could definitely use a rabbit savvy vet, yeah :evil: But they're literally non-existent where I live, that's the problem. There are 2 vet clinics close to me, one has been forbidden to treat small animals ever again because of how many mistakes they've made that have resulted in animals dying :cry: And then there's this one. This is why Bella isn't spayed as well, I don't trust anyone around here to be able to do it :( But hopefully I'll be able to move away from here in the near future and take the buns with me. I'm hoping I could find a good vet then :) It is really important as this is a problem he'll most likely be having on and off for the rest of his life. It's essential that he gets the best possible care to make sure he stays happy.

Oh I see, what a pain :( I really hope you can find a better vet when you move. In the meantime atleast you know you can get sound advise on here that you can pass on to your vet. Might even be worth printing some information for him to read. Jack's Jane usually knows alot of useful links.

Tons of vibes for your special man :love:

Back