• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchips

Rabbit123

Young Bun
Hiya everyone
Just wanted some advice really...Im off to a RSPCA event soon and they are offering free microchips for rabbits
Just wanted to know if it is a good idea to get my indoor rabbit microchipped? Or if anyone has had any problems when having their bunny
microchipped? :)

If you want it done, then yes, it can be worthwhile, if people find your bunny and take it to the vet. Most however, wouldn't think of checking a bunny is microchipped. And also, they have been known to cause cancer in dogs and cats, I don't know if there has been studies into them in rabbits. Those are the only negatives though. It's worth it if you think there is a chance your bun could escape!

All my dogs have microchips (it is most likely going to be law to have dogs microchipped soon)

One of my rabbits was chipped when she went for her spay.

The thing is if a pet goes missing you have little chance of it being returned to you with no ID whereas if they have a chip there is a chance the rescue or vet will scan for a chip and reunite you with your pet.

My sister's rabbits are microchipped. The main reason is that she has a ginger lionhead, Simba, and she looks pretty much the same as every other ginger lionhead. So if she went missing and my sister rang around to find her how would anyone know they'd found the right rabbit?

My Grim is very unique so I never bothered, but I would like to get Smoo done.

And also, they have been known to cause cancer in dogs and cats, I don't know if there has been studies into them in rabbits. Those are the only negatives though.
:? I've never heard this before.
Could you direct us to the research?

I have 2 of mine microchipped. I want them all done but will only ever get it done if they are under GA... couldn't bear the thought of that needle going into them concious. Same with cats and dogs... I am a big scardy cat :oops:

mine are microchipped, id recommend it, our vets check any buns handed in to them to see if they have microchips :thumb:

Vets charge anything from £15-£30 per microchip. I have had training as an Implanter, and buy my own microchips. They cost under £5 each. We chip all our dogs, cats and ferrets, and have chipped several rabbits (am thinking of chipping all the rabbits) We use Avid microchips.
Vets charge so much because of the admin needed to register the chip - but the actual microchip is not expensive.
I always scan any strays (any species) for a chip. Dont find them very often, but its always good when i get a positive reading for a stray.

2 out of 3 Companion Care vets in Norwich charge £10 for a microchip in dog, cats, rabbits or tortoises (or probably any pet that will fit through the doors!) I think it is just an offer, but we have been running it for almost a year now, it might be worth seeing if there is a local Companion Care with the same offer.

If its free then yes
if not i probably wouldnt but if my buns got out they probably go get killed by wild rabbits
we have no chance well maybe with dec but amy would blend in :lol:

Does it hurt them, is it done consciously? Just wondering as we are thinking of having our outdoor buns chipped.

Back