• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neuter Care querry

caringck

Young Bun
Hi..
Yayy Yayy! I found a good vet to castrate my boys.. :D ^_^ ..
He is charging $30 for both.. :D :D ^_^
(Trust me.. Medical care is the cheapest in India.. may it be veternary or human medical care)

So.. Now I have some queries..

Will my bunny's behaviour remain same? Like Hes very affectionate to my dad.. Comes in Hand easily.. Plays a lot.. Loves the sofa, etc.. Or will it change a lot? :(

Should I keep the bunnies seperate after neuter??? They have not fought even once as of now.. Touch wood.. but humping behaviour goes on from 1 bunny and it seems like fighting will start soon if they keep on doing it.. :|

The vet said that bring the bunnies empty stomach.. Is he saying it right? Do we have to take bunnies empty stomach for neuter operation.. He also said that operation won't take more than 1 hour.. Is it such a short surgery?

No fighting/ humping after neutering? and My boys.. the brothers from another mothers will live happily? :D

No no no no no - never let a bunny get an empty stomach. This is VERY bad advice from the vet.

Rabbits have to constantly eat and move their gut through or it will stop working and they will die (without being dramatic!!)

The reason vets say this for other animals, is to reduce the chance of them being sick I think. But rabbits are incapable of being sick.

Has the vet neutered rabbits before?

Agree with the above, do not fast / starve your rabbits they must be allowed to continue to eat and drink. If they are starved it is possible they will die in a fairly short space of time as their guts have to be working all the time. Please ask how many neuters the vet has done on rabbits before. If you are not happy please try and find another vet.

Neutering calms down bucks and so although their behaviour may not be the same they should be calm and happy bunnies. It's only a short surgery but I wouldn't know the time taken exactly.

Good luck!

he has.. the way he was talking on phone .. it seemed like hes an expert..also when i asked him if we have to keep them seperate he told me that if they lick each other, then yes,, keep them seperate for some time .. like 5-7 days.. otherwise no need as such..

he has.. the way he was talking on phone .. it seemed like hes an expert..also when i asked him if we have to keep them seperate he told me that if they lick each other, then yes,, keep them seperate for some time .. like 5-7 days.. otherwise no need as such..

I'm not sure about the separation to be honest, but if he's told you to bring in the bunnies with an empty stomach he is NOT an expert with rabbits, sorry.

Alright.. :| .. I will try to find a different vet then.. guys plz tell me what questions should I put to the vet and what should be the right answer..?

If they aren't fighting and are kept together up until the neuter, then there should be no need to split them after the op either. Of course, you would have to keep an eye on them and split if there were any signs of fighting but usually the bunnies are a comfort to each other after an operation. It's quite a quick procedure, yes.

Behaviour might change slightly afterwards, but usually for the better as it means they aren't driven by their hormones. :D

I agree with the other posts though about the starvation before an op.

guys plz tell me what questions should I put to the vet and what should be the right answer..?

There are some general questions here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?267127-How-to-find-a-good-rabbit-vet.

I'm not sure if you have vaccinations for rabbits there, so those questions might not be relevant to you.

This thread also covers questions specifically to do with neutering:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?84269-Vet-Questions-Neutering

Actually what the vet said was.. That Like.. Bring them at 11 or 10 in the morning.. And they must not have eaten anything after 6 am or 7 am..

Don't starve ya bunnys for anything or anybody including your vet bunnys must eat at all times or they will be seriously I'll an may die 

Back