• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help Needed UPDATED 25 March

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
My bun, Evelyn, seemed normal this morning but now all of a sudden is very slow, stationary and not eating. I told her straight to the vets but the small animal vet is not around and the guy was useless. Inspected her teeth again (which she had done 4 weeks ago and before that 6 months ago) and said there were some small spures, gave me a long lecture about how this is often caused by diet which I am already well aware of and just said see how she goes over the next few days...but she is not eating and from my understanding will be dead within that period.

I have just cleaned their cage and noticed quite a few flies coming out, only very small ones - are they the kind that causes flystrike or is it blue bottles?

Finally, the other bun has started attempting to mate with her which I have never seen before. Could she just be depressed or something because of this or is he acting weird because there is something wrong with her.

What do I do? I now feel completely alone with the advice of a proper vet. :( I am really worried and really want to help her

Last edited:
I would say if she isnt eating she needs to see a vet that knows about bunnies. It may be work asking in rabbit chat for a vet in your area thats good with bunnies. Try to tempt her with some yummy herbs or similar til you can get her to a good vet. Im sure someone will come along with some advice for in the mean time very soon.

Oh and did the vet give her some pain relief? She probably feels sore if her teeth have spurs and if her tummy hurts which will make her even less likely to eat.

No pain relief, not even anything to attempt to resolve gut stasis, would have been worth a punt, I think. He was an idiot.

I am just going to buy some herbs from the shop now. Usually she is really enthusiastic for anything, but herbs have worked in the past, but then she has never seemed this bad. No point asking anyone about the area, as I live in Guernsey and the only rabbit vet is not around.

I really hope she picks up. Someone who has more experience than me will appear soon and help out, Im sure there are other things you can do to help her improve.

Has she passed normal fecal pellets within the last few hours ?

Is she drinking ?

I am assuming your Rabbits are both neutered ?

Oh no! What a terrible situation to be in.

You did the right thing in taking her to the vet. I'm really sorry that he was so hopeless. When is the rabbit vet back? She really needs proper vet care by someone who knows what they're doing. The spurs will be causing her much discomfort, and seem like the most obvious reason to her stopping eating.

Has she stopped eating completely or can you get her favourite goodies in her. Is she pooing at all, and what do they look like?

Your boy has probably sensed that she's vulnerable and not at all well, which will have brought on the humping. I'd be tempted to split them, but keep them next to each other so they're able to see each other.

Do you have a snugglesafe you could give her to lie on?

Yes bottom checked and all fine. I just would be suprised if it was her teeth, unless whoever did them 4 weeks ago was rubbish. I have just cleaned out their cage and moved them into the run on the lawn, where there are some bits she likes to eat, so havent been able to see poos. Not drinking but then she doesnt do that very often. She now has loads of basil and coriander next to her but she is not eating that. She is neutered, him also

Is it possible for you to ask the vet for a bottle of metacam? At least that way you could make her comfortable, it might also be worth asking for some empermid (oral gut motility agent). I'm sure they won't argue with you if you are paying for the meds. Try also geting hold of some Oxbrow Critical Care, that way you can syringe feed if necessary.

My personal experience of stasis has not been due to a gut obstruction, but due to molar spurs or the bunny being gassy and in those situations it has been necessary to administer the above meds and food. Unfortunately we learnt this too late and lost one of darling girls two years ago who rapidly lost weight because she refused to eat and the vets we consulted were not very rabbit savy. Had she had the correct meds and a few feeds she may have survived. Thankfully we now have a brillant vet and furnished with much more knowledge.We have had to on occassion syringe feed some of the others but this has normally followed a vet consultation where their tummy's have been palpated and no obstruction's have been found.

I hope that clears things up.

Last edited:
Yes bottom checked and all fine. I just would be suprised if it was her teeth, unless whoever did them 4 weeks ago was rubbish. I have just cleaned out their cage and moved them into the run on the lawn, where there are some bits she likes to eat, so havent been able to see poos. Not drinking but then she doesnt do that very often. She now has loads of basil and coriander next to her but she is not eating that. She is neutered, him also

I would attempt to get some fluids into her. Try 10ml/kg of just plain water to start with. Syringe feeding may not be appropriate if she has a gut obstruction. Neither would administering gut motility meds

It is perfectly possible for molar spurs to develop again in just 4 weeks, I have know it to occur in just 10 days.

What area are you in Lupine? Perhaps someone could suggest a more competent vet in the area? Start a thread so others will see it. See really needs some treatment by the sounds of things.

What area are you in Lupine? Perhaps someone could suggest a more competent vet in the area? Start a thread so others will see it. See really needs some treatment by the sounds of things.

Guernsey

No pain relief, not even anything to attempt to resolve gut stasis, would have been worth a punt, I think. He was an idiot.

I am just going to buy some herbs from the shop now. Usually she is really enthusiastic for anything, but herbs have worked in the past, but then she has never seemed this bad. No point asking anyone about the area, as I live in Guernsey and the only rabbit vet is not around.

But it cannot be teeth - usually its only necessary 6 months apart. Still not eating, looks very tired. Keeps going somewhere quiet and eyes closed and hunched up really small. When she moves, she sort of stretches out, before going back into a hunch. I think it looks like pain

But it cannot be teeth - usually its only necessary 6 months apart. Still not eating, looks very tired. Keeps going somewhere quiet and eyes closed and hunched up really small. When she moves, she sort of stretches out, before going back into a hunch. I think it looks like pain

Personally I would contact ANY Vet again now. She clearly needs pain relief at the very least. If she has still not produced any fecal pellets then time is not on her side and waiting for the 'Rabbit Vet' to be available may be too late.

Personally I would contact ANY Vet again now. She clearly needs pain relief at the very least. If she has still not produced any fecal pellets then time is not on her side and waiting for the 'Rabbit Vet' to be available may be too late.

That would be my advice, too. Rabbits go downhill so quickly that if it were me I would get her to the vet urgently.

Sending vibes for the vet appointment at 5. Hope they can help her much better than the previous vets.

Back