• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on a young bunny...

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I met a bunny, probably about 3 months old, a "friend" has it. Its underweight, not like starved, but noticably bony. Its on pets at home nuggets and it has pets at home hay, I think its getting about one of those cat bowl size feed bowls spread out over the day from what I gather. Its got a cut on its ear, I would guess from another bunny bite, although its more of a line than a teeth mark, but does go both sides. Its healing ok by the looks of it and doesnt bother the bunny (they said its male, Im not confident sexing bunnies and its not been for a vet check so not sure). So, its obviously underweight, how is safest to increase weight without it getting a funny tummy? Its so young I didnt want to suggest upping pellets without checking here first as Ive not had much to do with baby bunnies. "he" doesnt appear all that interested in the hay, noms it a little but not like my bunnies ever did. Im worried because he has had uneaten poos left around as it is (normal poos look normal, one uneaten caecal (sp?) when I saw, but apparently a few a day) so would more pellets be a problem? Ive said no to greens til "he" gets bigger and stable, is that right? I cant see any obvious teeth issue signs, so are the poos from moving/too many pellets/health problem?

Arg adult bunnies are easier, why do people never want to ask BEFORE they get in this situation???? This is the third time in 2 weeks someone has asked advice on pets (was piggles before).

I'd suggest a vet check for teeth first, and obviously an all over health check. Ideally that should be done ASAP.

If it's being fed the brown pets at home hay it might be worthwhile trying some nicer fresher hay that's nince and green to see if that entices him.

If the teeth come back as healthy and the vet can not find anything wrong then a gradual increase in pellets should be ok. It might be better on junior than adult pellets, so a gradual change to them might be an option.

If I can help (such as with sexing), let me know.

Thanks, Im trying to persuade vacc and neutering/spaying so bunster will need to see a vet for a health check for that. It is the brown hay, the stuff I think they advertise as bedding, although my piggles dont mind it, but not a lot of coarser hay stalks in there. I may be able to persuade them to use the horses hay which would be a meadow hay but not too rich would that be better? Would a change upset tummys? Ive got to go to town later anyway so I might get some hay and junior pellet (is there a junior pellet of comparable price to pets at home that is better? If it costs the same I could probably get them to swap) and juts drop it in with a note to change slowly. If they refuse to take it to the vet I may take you up on that offer of sexing. Ive left my vets details there but he isnt the cheapest so they might not like that, he isnt the closest either (his new website has good bunny info though!).

Why is it always me they come to????

My bunnies used to be on pets at home hay and were never that excited, but now I order meadow hay through the Hay Experts and they go nuts for it and are always nomming it.

As for the pellets, baby bunnies tummy's can be quite fragile, but provided you change their pellets slowly and over ther period of about two weeks. I'd suggest burgess excel junior nuggets. They have lots of fibre; my bunnies again started on pets at home nuggets but after a stasis epidsode we changed them over to burgess excel and they go mad at feeding time.

A vet check would be a good idea to rule out any underlying health problems.

How long has she had the rabbit? My friend's baby bunny from a pet shop started off skinny.
I still think teeth though.

I think she's only had it a week. Ive dropped off some junior pets at home and some nicer hays to try tempt him more and suggested a vet trip ASAP. I cant believe how expensive the pets at home pellets are!

Back