• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is he making it worse? Please help :(

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Jessie had a bite on her ear (went to vet, & has been on metacam/baytril). I noticed Domino has been licking it and I think he is making it worse. It looks like he has removed most of the fur and nibbled it in a few places, her ear does look quite sore now, but she is eating ok and is quite happy.Do I seperate them for a bit, is he going to stop it healing by grooming like this? :?xx

It sounds like it could be getting worse if it looks more sore :cry: I think it would be worth ringing the vet to see if they can suggest anything (a dressing maybe?), I'm loathe to think about you separating them as I've got a broken bond at the moment and it's stressful, so Id be thinking that was a last resort personally.

He's trying to heal it but doesn't realise he is making it worse.

I had my Dopeys do this and did separate them so that they were next to each other, and in the morning, I would swap the contents of their areas and in the evening I swapped them over. I also allowed them supervised play together so that I could stop any grooming of the area. They rebonded really quickly after they had been on this regime for a month and Dopey 2's wound was healed (hers was a horrid vaccination reaction). But, my Dopeys are very malleable and super easy to bond so that helped. I think you may have to consider something like that though if there is no way to prevent him from grooming it.

thanks for your advice. He doesnt seem to have bothered her ear today, had a good look at it and although its still a bit red/sore, Jessie is fine in herself, happily eating away and the bite is definitely healing. Im beginning to wonder whether Jessie might have nibbled it herself in irratation as I havent seen any grooming of the ear from Domino yet. Plus I think of when you have a scab on yourself sometimes you just want to itch it so maybe this is what she is feeling?:? I think I will continue to keep a close eye on them and if needs be I will separate them but keep them next to each other. That should be fairly simple to do with the current set up I have, but would prefer to do it as a last resort, as, I agree, I would hate to break their bond... Poor Jessie, her ear doesnt look very pretty at the moment, but Im glad she seems to be just getting on with it quite happily at the moment :)

xxxx

Back