• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

plant ID please!

pepperpot

Warren Scout
I've been able to provide a little forage for bunny all winter and now the plants are really starting to grow.

Could anyone ID this plant please as there's lots of it around on my walks but I'm not too sure about what it is.

P1020436.jpg

P1020435.jpg

Cow parsley:D

Have a quick google of hemlock(very poisonous) just so you can teach yourself the difference if you are going to feed cowparsley;)
Hemlock looks similar but has a round smoother stem (you'll see that the cow parsley has ridges).
Hemlock has purple splotches all over as though someone has flicked purple ink on it (cow parsley has purplish colouring at it's leaf joints)
Also if you crush some cow parsley in your hand it smells, well... green if that makes sense?
If you crush hemlock it STINKS, it is vile.

Thank you so much for that really informative reply :wave:

I think I'll give it a miss though as I'd never forgive myself if I fed the wrong plant.

The plantain's growing at a pace and no end of fresh dandelions and grass so bunny won't go hungry :D

I don't personally feed cow parsley as there are a lot a LOT of plants that look very similar and, as has been pointed out, some of them are poisonous (and can blister human skin too....)

I do a fair bit of botany and plant ID for my job but I wouldn't trust myself 100% in feeding those to my bunnies. I am a bit paranoid though :lol:

I'm lucky as I was brought up in the sticks and was taught to forage since I was 4! The smell really is very different, but If you are not 100% the only safe thing to do is avoid as you say ;)
Having said that, Geoff would HATE me if I didn;t feed it him:lol:

I agree not to feed rabbits this plant which is one of the wild chervils/cowparsley.
It is a strong diuretic & can dehydrate your buns. It sends many buns "hypomanic" = excessively active, & humping obsessively for 48 hours.
There are 2 types of wild chervil - the rough leaved type has bulbous roots & gives herbivours "the staggers".

The highly poisonous hemlock is very similar although I can differentiate them in life from several yards distance, by a subtle difference in overall leaf appearance when mature. Immature plants can be difficult to identify as the red blotches may not have developed on the stems.
How poisonous? 1 leaf can kill a fully grown man, by rapid paralysis of the respiratory muscles, for 3 weeks.

This is a fully mature leaf of hemlock.
DSCF5398.jpg

Back